Black Cherry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good......No, No, I'm talking about them brats !!!! So who got two and who got just one ?
smiley2.gif

Nice fermentation going on the wine too

Thanks Waldo. I confess I ate two. Butmindful of the warning signs, I only had the one glass of vino.
smiley36.gif

As for the black cherry... Gina and I took a trip to San Diego yesterday for an appointment so we were gone most of the day. I had sealed the primary and attached an airlock, which was blooping rapidly when I left. But upon my return last night it was silent. So I transferred the-wine, mead, melomel ??? not sure what to call it- into a carboy along with the oak cubes and another dose of yeast nutrient. Got a few healthy bloops in the airlock last night, but it's completely silent this morning. Here's a pic.

20081120_072748_Black_Cherry7.JPG

Meads can be funny. Sometimes they enjoy being racked and sometimes they get rather grumpy when they get racked. I've read that a lot of mead makers will let it ferment and clear in the primary. Just keep an eye on the SG, and yes it may move very slowly, and you should be fine.
VPC

With that much headspace and no airlock activity, I hesitate to open it up just yet.My plan is to let it sit two days and then check SG a couple of times over the weekend. I'll give it a good stir each time to release some CO2 to re-fill the headspace.

Question
smiley25.gif
Should I proceed like I normally would post fermentation? Add K-meta, K-sorbate, and de-gas? I do plan to back-sweeten, so I assume K-sorbate is a must. But I've read somewhere that cherries have lots of malic acid. Will this mead start malo spontaneously? Do I want it to? Haven't done an acid test since the initial one, but based on the pre-fermentation results, I suspect it's low.

Yes just proceed like normal when the mead is finished and add acid blend as you like. I have no idea about the malic acid levels, I'm sure someone else will chime in soon I am curious however since I will be making my chocolate cherry melomel in a few weeks.
VPC

Thanks vcasey. Can't wait to hear all about the chocolate cherry!

If you add the k-meta and the sorbate, it will inhibit any natural MLF(you want to inhibit it). Cherry is not very acidic so you want to keep what is there. I would get it finished up soon and get it topped off. Sounds llike you have a good game plan with this one.

just found this on sugar content and acidity of fruits.. not sure how accurate it is or if it would be helpful to anyone.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Fruit Sugar Content Acid Content
%of fresh weight %of fresh weight

Lime 1% 5.0%
Avocado10.2
Lemon 25.0
Tomato 30.5
Cranberry 4 3.0
Red Currant 61.8
Grapefruit 62.0
Guava 7 0.4
Cantaloupe 7 0.2
Strawberry 7 1.6
Raspberry 7 1.6
Blackberry 8 1.5
Papaya 8 0.1
Apricot 9 1.7
Watermelon9 0.2
Peach 9 0.4
Black Currant 10 3.2
Pear 10 0.1
Honeydew10 0.2
Orange 11 1.2
Plum 11 0.6
Blueberry 11 0.3
Gooseberry 11 1.8
Passion Fruit 11 3.0
Prickly Pear11 0.1
Mango 11 0.5
Pineapple 13 1.1
Pomegranate 13 1.2
Apple 13 0.8
Cherry 140.5
Kiwi 14 3.0
Persimmon 14 0.2
Fig 150.4
Grape 16 0.2
Banana 17 0.3
Litchi 17 0.3

</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: RkyMtnWine

This is a honey wine and topping up isnt as crucial as honey in itself is very anti-microbial. This is why I stage the nutrient and stir often as most meads will do this stop and go or just stop and the little nutrient and stirring will keep it going. I have never had any problems since I started doing it this way. Give it a try next time. all energizer and 1/3 up front, 1/3rd when it hits 1.065 and the another 1/3rd when it hts 1.030.

I am going to risk stepping on a toe or two here, but I believe topping up is just as important for the mead as it is any wine. While honey may be slightly anti-microbial, it is not an anti-oxidant. Unless you can guarantee the headspace has no oxygen in it, you have no way of stopping interaction with the oxygen and all its downsides. Leave a bit of room for additives, but right now it is a bit low.

Ow, my toes are killing me!
smiley36.gif
Here is a little something I have pulled up on honey and it would be safer to top up but nowhere near as detrimental as a typical wine is. Remember that honey can sit foreb=ver on a shelf without going bad but will eventually crystallize, but heating it up will bring it back to its original form.

The major antibacterial activity in honey has been found to be due
to hydrogen peroxide produced enzymically in the honey. The glucose
oxidase enzyme is secreted from the hypopharyngeal gland of the bee
into the nectar to assist in the formation of honey from the nectar.

The hydrogen peroxide and acidity produced by the reaction:

glucose + H<sub>2</sub>O+ O<sub>2</sub> --&gt; gluconic acid + H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub>

serve to preserve the honey. The hydrogen peroxide produced would be
of effect as a sterilising agent only during the ripening of honey.
Full-strength honey has a negligible level of hydrogen peroxide because
this substance is short-lived in the presence of the transition metal
ions and ascorbic acid in honey which catalyse its decomposition to
oxygen and water. The enzyme has been found to be practically inactive
in full-strength honey, it giving rise to hydrogen peroxide only when
the honey is diluted. This is because the acidity produced in the
action of the enzyme drops the pH to a point which is too low for the
enzyme to work any more. On dilution of honey the activity increases by
a factor of 2,500 - 50,000, thus giving a "slow-release" antiseptic at
a level which is antibacterial but not tissue-damaging.

Edited by: wade

While the peroxide levels do increase when honey is diluted with water,I would say the increase is negligible,otherwise it could actually hinder the yeast bacteria from performing their function, and the process of fermentation will again change the chemical make up of the honey. On a side note,Stirring the must would actually increase the peroxide levels, the reason when we make cheese starter, it is not a continuous agitation on the vat of starter, untill the process (fermetation) is completed. Topping up would be highly recomended as with any wine at this point.

As long as the mead is fermenting it's fine and it can ferment a long time. But once it stops then it really should be topped up or racked to a smaller carboy.
Honey may last forever and a day on the shelf but once it is diluted it becomes vulnerable to all the nasties in the environment.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll rack this to a 5-gal carboy tomorrow and check SG. I'll wait a little while to stabilize (3-5 days) just to make sure fermentation is all done. Then I'll go ahead with the K-meta, K-sorbate, and degassing. Say, does anyone use Super Kleer on mead, or should I just let it clear naturally. No intention of drinking it anytime soon.

If you have the time let it do its own thing. This is about the only time I dont use a fining agent as honey is a very delicate flavor and can be lost easily.

I'd just let it sit and see if it clears on its own. But you can use super kleer as well.
VPC

Up early this morning checking on the Black Cherry. No airlock activity for three days. No bubbles and it's starting to clear. SG still at 1.004 with a slight hint of sweetness, but it appears to be done. Decided to go ahead and stabilize. Let's see, starting SG 1.102, ending SG 1.004. I estimate 13.4% final ABV. Should notch down a bit when I add the last quart of cherry juice at back sweetening.

I racked out of the 6-gal carboy into a primary and degassed as I mixed in 1/4 tsp K-meta and 2-1/2 tsp K-sorbate. After another acid test, I also added 2 more tsp acid blend. Should put acid around .65%.

20081122_073404_Black_Cherry_8.JPG

20081122_073538_Black_Cherry_9.JPG

20081122_073722_Black_Cherry_10.JPG

I know. I know. I can hear them out there in the garage calling to me,...longing for wine.
smiley2.gif

Back