Black Cherry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, its getting close to time to try a few meads I've made. The Hoover "Dam Fine Mead" should be ready for a sample around the first of the year..Looking good Ken! I also found given time they clear very well on there own.

Racked and sampled the Black Cherry today. It's fairly clear now, but I'm sure it still has a ways to go. It finished off-dry, so I decided to leave it that way for now rather than back sweetening. I can't compare this to any other mead because I can't remember tasting one before (although Gina says I have). But I wasn't too impressed with my first taste. Kind of bland. Needs a bit more tart to it, so I may have to tweak acid somewhere down the road. But I'll let it age for a while and see how things develop.

20081126_135914_IMG_0105_Small.JPG

20081126_140100_IMG_0106_Small.JPG

20081126_140230_IMG_0107_Small.JPG

Nice body and color. I wound up with 4-1/2 gallons. Still not sure how to characterize the taste. It's something about the honey. It's kinda like fermentation stripped away the stuff that makes honey taste good (maybe the sugar, huh?) and what's left is just,...bluh.
smiley11.gif
Not a lot of cherry flavor either. But I'll reserve judgement until Spring when it's had time to age a bit.

I made a gallon of Cherry wine and played with it for over a year, wondering what it was missing.

Every time I would add something to another wine I was making at the time, I would take a little of the cherry and add it........... Nothing, still bland.

I haven't tried it since I bottled it........ might have to dig that one out and taste, it's been about a year in the bottle now.

One day I had a little in a glass standing in front of the fridge. I was digging for something, and ran across one of those plastic lemons with lemon juice in it! Added a touch and it was PERFECT!

I was so excited! I was finally able to bottle it after a long time aging in that gallon jug.

Put this baby away for at least a year. Then bottle it if you must and wait a least another year or two.
VPC

vcasey said:
Put this baby away for at least a year. Then bottle it if you must and wait a least another year or two.
VPC

You do realize that's an eternity to a child, right?
smiley36.gif

K&GB said:
vcasey said:
VPC

You do realize that's an eternity to a child, right?
smiley36.gif

That is worse than waiting for Santa................
smiley2.gif

Back