Black Cherry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
You all have me salivating over your mead batches, and I don't even know what mead tastes like.
smiley9.gif
Ah well. Time to jump right in.
smiley2.gif

I bought 10 lbs of honey and 6 quarts of black cherry juice at the store today. I haven't done any research on a recipe yet, but I'd like to make this into a 3-gal batch. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!
smiley1.gif

i only have my first batch going...a Crabapple/Apple Cyser [mead]

I would use your juice straight up....add no water.

I like full flavor to my wines....so try not to dilute any store bought juices...

Just my 2¢

Sounds great! I would use both nutrient and energizer. Add al the energizer up front and 1/3 the nutrient up front and then another 3rd at an sg of 1.065 and then the last 3rd around 1.030 and stir it well each time to get much 02 in there. Do a yeast starter or at least re hydrat the yeast to get it jump started.

Thanks NW. Your 2 cents is priceless. Wade, I'm afraid I don't have yeast energizer, just nutrient.
So having looked over several recipes, I dove in head first. I warmed 2 qts of juice on the stove and stirred in all of the honey. I added that and the remaining 4 qts to the primary and came up with 2.5 gal. I checked SG, and it was off the scale!
smiley3.gif
So 9 qts of water later, the SG is down to 1.104, roughly 13.6% potential ABV, or 25 brix. Yikes! I really had to dilute the mixture much more than I expected.
smiley24.gif
I now have just over 4.5 gal and not nearly as dark and thick as I imagined. Ah well, it's my first try. I'll probably back sweeten this with more black cherry juice to cut the ABV and add flavor.

I tried an acid test but it was so low as to be almost meaningless. So my initial recipe is-

10 lbs honey
6 qts black cherry juice
9 qts water
6 tsp acid blend
4 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp liquid tannin
4 campden tablets

I'll let this sit overnight and make a yeast starter tomorrow.Edited by: K&GB

Make sure the juice has no preservatives and you can either use all cherry juice or use apple juice/cider. Just be careful when you add the honey and stir like crazy and then stir like crazy again taking SG readings several times. For my 1 1/2 gal. batches I only ended up adding 3 1/2 lbs to bring the SG to 1090. When ever I use apple juice or cider I end up using less. You'll need to post your recipe. I'm planning a Cherry Mel. for next month, but I'm making it sweet and adding chocolate.
VPC

Thanks vcasey. The juice is pure black cherry with nothing added.

Forgot to post how I decided on black cherry. The grocery store where I shop has a natural foods section that includes "Knudson's Just Juice" products. I always take a peak when I go shopping. Quart jars of various juices cost about $7.50, and they usually only stock four qts of each variety. But yesterday they had a whole shelf of black cherry, and it was only $4.50 per quart. I knew it had to be a sign.
smiley2.gif
Or maybe that was just my obsession talking...

Sometimes it's hard to sort out the voices in my head.
smiley29.gif

So I checked for honey on the jelly isle and found 5 lb bottles of "Desert Gold" for $16.00. I don't know much about honey, but 10 lbs for $32.00 sounded okay. At least that's what I told myself. (Those voices again) So $27 for juice and $32 for honey, and I'm looking at a $59 investment for what I thought would be a 3-gal batch of mead. (The voices told me that was just fine)
smiley36.gif

After mixing the ingredients together I came up with only 2-1/2 gal, but it was thick and dark and tasted heavenly so I was happy. I made my calculations for acid blend, yeast nutrient, campden tabs, etc. based on 2-1/2 gal and began adding ingredients.

But here's where I failed to make an important mental leap.

HONEY = SUGAR!!!
smiley24.gif

To be fair, those two 5-lb bottles of honey weren't near as big as a 10-lb bag of sugar. I guess that misguided volume comparison was the basis of my mistake. For some reason, I thought more honey would just mean more body. Okay, lesson learned there.
smiley9.gif

I'll head back to the store this morning and buy a few more jars of juice. Let's see, that's another $14. I plan to save one for back sweetening and topping up. But the other two are going to bring this batchup toalmost 5-1/2 gallons. Hopefully that'll lower the SG a bit more also. I've already recalculated most of the other ingredients, but I'm having trouble with the acid blend so I'll do another acid test after I add the rest of the juice.

Unless someone has a different recommendation, I plan to use Lalvin EC-1118 yeast.I'll use some of the cherry juice to make a starter solution.

So to recap, I'll wind up spending roughly $73 to make a 5-gal batch of something that may or may not turn out good enough to drink next year. That's worth it, right? Hmmm. Where are those voices when you need 'em? Somehow the only voice I can hear right now is my wife's telling me I ain't too bright.
smiley5.gif

Edited by: K&GB

If you use D47 or 71B yeast it make stop earlier 14% or so. You may not need to back sweeten and you may get lucky and not get an 18% mead which will take a bit to settle down and become drinkable. Are you planning to oak this?

Some juices are very sweet on their own.

Once I have all the juices in the primary bucket I take a S.G. reading before adding any sweeteners or other additives....

The volume and the S.G. of the just the juices gives you an idea of how much sweeteners you will need to get your desired S.G....

Some juices require water to dilute the flavors, acid, etc...other juices stand well on their own.

Keep us Posted on your adventure.

My yeast choices include the EC-1118, 71B-1122, and Red Star Montrachet and Cote des Blancs.

NW,

I'm learning just what you said about the juices. The Blueberry I just used for wine had an SG of 1.046 and tasted good by itself. Other juices didn't taste so good. The pomegranite, for instance, tasted vile so I threw it out. Also, the cranberry I used to make wine was so tart I had to add calcium carbonate prior to fermentation and continue to cut with water as the wine aged. I didn't measure the sugar content of this black cherry, but it does taste sweet all on its own.

Modified recipe-

10 lbs honey
8 qts cherry juice
9 qts water
12 tsp acid blend
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp tannin
4 campden tablets

I added two more quarts of juice after my trip to the store this morning. Brought the volume to 5-1/4 gallons with an SGof 1.102 or 13.4% potential alcohol. I checked the acid and got a reading of about 4 g/L, so I added 6 more tsp of acid blend for a total of 12. I stirred well and checked again, reading 5 to 5.5 g/L. I'm skiddish about adding more, so I'll wait and check it again post fermentation. I started a yeast starter solution using the Lalvin 71B-1122.

Yes I agree 71B is a much better choice! Also until I tasted a cranberry wine one of our local wineries made, I would have thought no way too tart also. I've change my mind. They also make a carrot and banana wine that are terrific. Buy 3 or 4 lbs. of fresh cranberries (that will make a gallon, toss them in the freezer for a month or so and give it a try.
VPC

I have a cranberry wine that if I say so myself came out very good. It tastes like Ocean Spray Cranberry cocktail which is very tart but with the alc addition is very nice. It just belongs with Cranberry!

I bottled my 1-1/2 gal batch of cranberry recently. Turned out nice but a bit thin for my taste. Probably because I kept adding water to it...lol.

vcasey, you mentioned oak earlier. Do you normally oak mead, or melomel? If so, I have the following options on hand: light toast American oak infusion spirals, medium toast French oak cubes, and house toast (very dark) French oak cubes. I'm planning to use the medium toast French cubes in a cab that's currently in secondary. But I could always order more. I would appreciate any recommendations.

A few pics I snapped along the way. SG 1.102
smiley22.gif

20081116_120634_Black_Cherry_1.JPG

Darker color after addition of 2 more quarts of cherry juice.
smiley1.gif

20081116_120757_Black_Cherry_2.JPG

Yeast starter solution.
smiley4.gif

20081116_120924_Black_Cherry_3.JPG

I oak most of my meads. In fact I think I've only not oaked 2. One was a tropical mead (tropical fruit left over from my son's graduation party) and a traditional mead made with Orange Blossom Honey that we were using to top off the tropical mead. I wanted to oak - he didn't and it was his, but a light oak would have been great. Honey and oak really go great together and with the black cherry I would use either dark or med. oak.
VPC

Looks awesome... come on George... hurry with my goodies so I can get started on my mead. Geeze you guys... the mead I am planning is just your basic mead... no other juices... feel like I am out of place.. Oh well, been out of place before..and will happen again. I will be using the D-47 and hope for the best

That basic traditional mead will taste fantastic in a couple of years. You can always add spices the mead, like vanilla and cinnamon.
VPC

Back