Bitter Wine Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Stahl

Junior
Reaction score
Some background: Harvested and pressed Vidal Blanc and Chardonel in October in Western PA. Have about 10 gallons total. Fermented from 1.090 to dry. Had to add in some acid blend but used a kit to do so. PH is about 3.4 for both. Have racked with campden about 4 times now. It’s clear and beautiful looking in the car boy. It smells great too.

HOWEVER

When I taste it, it’s very tart/bitter. I dont know what is wrong. I mixed it with some white grape juice and it made it much much better. Not sweet but seemed to balance it.

So, since I’m a newbie, I’m asking for some advice. Should I back sweeten to remove the tartness? Is it just too young yet? Should I use wine conditioner or cane sugar or blend a sweet wine?

Thanks in advance!

you could try some bench trials with glycerin. it is not fermentable which would eliminate using potassium sorbate.

possible cold stabilization may precipitate enough acid to make it okay.

third option use some potassium carbonate again in bench trial to reduce the acid.

you could try some bench trials with glycerin. it is not fermentable which would eliminate using potassium sorbate.

possible cold stabilization may precipitate enough acid to make it okay.

third option use some potassium carbonate again in bench trial to reduce the acid.
Okay thank you for the suggestion! Working on it today

Note: Acid blend usually consists of a blend of Malic, Citric, and Tartaric acids.

Citric acid and Malic acid are rather harsh. In fact, many here use MLF to eliminate malic acid in there wines (by converting it to lactic acid). You should have used the same dosage of 100% tartaric acid. The result would have been much better.

Latest posts

Back