Other bitter Gran Cru merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I bottled 6 gallons of Gran Cru Internation Merlot yesterday. IT was started January before last and bulk aged until yesterday. I have been putting in 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta every three months.

The taste has some bitterness and I assume it is because I just added some kmeta a few days before bottling.

Do you think that could be?

If it is, how long before it goes away.

Thanks

Can you explain what you mean by bitter, Sour, astringent,acidity. Just to get a better feel of what you mean. Like biting into a whole lemon skin? Or grape stems?

I would have to say astringent more than acidic.
Before I pitched the yeast, I checked the acid and it was good.

Did you add tanin or oak? Dont know much about kits. All my experience is from fresh juice and grapes. I dont think its from the 1/4 tsp of kmeta you added. So its more of a mouth pucker. Like from a very dry heavy oaked Cabernet Sauvignon

I bottled 6 gallons of Gran Cru Internation Merlot yesterday. IT was started January before last and bulk aged until yesterday. I have been putting in 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta every three months.

The taste has some bitterness and I assume it is because I just added some kmeta a few days before bottling.

Do you think that could be?

If it is, how long before it goes away.

Thanks

Hello @olusteebus,
There have been times I've wondered the same thing. My thinking is most people rack every 3 months, then add the k-meta for 3 more. So I'm thinking somewhere around this time frame.
I know this might sound strange, take 2 glasses, open a bottle and pour some of the wine into the first glass. Then place your thumb, or the cork, over the opening of the bottle, shake it like crazy for a minute, slowly release the pressure. Do this several times, like 3 to 5 times, then pour the 2nd glass. Compare the two glasses and see if there is a difference between the two. Then, while open, let the bottle sit for 15 or 20 minutes, repeat this again.
Please let me know the outcome, I would like to know if you figure this out. Thanks!

Did you rack it every three months or just add the Kmeta? Racking exposes the wine to more oxygen so I can see the need for more Kmeta but if it is just sitting undisturbed in a carboy it probably doesn't need that much Kmeta. I'm always nervous about SO2 levels. Next item on my wish list is a Vinometric tester.

I just bottled an Eclipse Merlot kit that was a year old and it too was still very astringent. I'm hoping another year in the bottle will smooth it out. I definitely get the part about not having than many years left to wait on wine to mature. The way I look at it is that it will give my kids something to remember me by. Pretty sure they won't toss the wine like they probably will blue ribbon I won playing badminton in the 8th grade :)

the bitter taste is tannin. gelatin will remove the tannin. otherwise age will have to do the rick.

I will have to check my notes. I very likely added tannin riche after fermentation.

Hello @olusteebus,
There have been times I've wondered the same thing. My thinking is most people rack every 3 months, then add the k-meta for 3 more. So I'm thinking somewhere around this time frame.
I know this might sound strange, take 2 glasses, open a bottle and pour some of the wine into the first glass. Then place your thumb, or the cork, over the opening of the bottle, shake it like crazy for a minute, slowly release the pressure. Do this several times, like 3 to 5 times, then pour the 2nd glass. Compare the two glasses and see if there is a difference between the two. Then, while open, let the bottle sit for 15 or 20 minutes, repeat this again.
Please let me know the outcome, I would like to know if you figure this out. Thanks!

It shouldn't be gas if that is what you mean. I will try that and report back

Did you rack it every three months or just add the Kmeta? Racking exposes the wine to more oxygen so I can see the need for more Kmeta but if it is just sitting undisturbed in a carboy it probably doesn't need that much Kmeta. I'm always nervous about SO2 levels. Next item on my wish list is a Vinometric tester.

Good point. I think I racked it most of the times I added kmeta.

I just bottled an Eclipse Merlot kit that was a year old and it too was still very astringent. I'm hoping another year in the bottle will smooth it out. I definitely get the part about not having than many years left to wait on wine to mature. The way I look at it is that it will give my kids something to remember me by. Pretty sure they won't toss the wine like they probably will blue ribbon I won playing badminton in the 8th grade :)

I will test it again. I just tasted it when bottling. Surely bottle shock would not have that bad of a impact on the wine.

Thanks to all.

Latest posts

Back