Big move coming soon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey

Reaction score
Moving 2500 miles early fall. Going to rack, sulfite now and bottle just before the move. Will have 3 carboys too early to bottle??

Moving 2500 miles early fall. Going to rack, sulfite now and bottle just before the move. Will have 3 carboys too early to bottle??

Where are you located? I'm sure someone here will volunteer to keep an eye on them for you. ::
Seriously though, why wouldn't you just crate them and move them?

Early fall is still 4 or more months away. Anything that you've already got in process should be to a point you can bottle it before then. It might not have bulk aged as long as you want but it will have bulk aged for at least a few months. I would bottle it and let it finish aging in the bottle.

I did exactly what you are describing before my last move. Just remember that a moving company may not want 20 or 30 cases of wine inside the truck. They are really worried about breakage and ruining the rest of the load.

An easy way around the rules was to give the driver and helper a case each, they took real good care of my wine! Money well spent.

I moved from CT to PA last year. In the movers guidelines there was a section on tipping which clearly asked that you not tip with alcohol or words to that affect.

I did not move any carboys filled with wine. I stopped making wine about four months before the move so that all the wine I did move was in bottles.

Best of luck with your move.

Last edited:

Presuming that the move is cross country/overland and would include driving a personal vehicle???? Maybe wait as long as you can to bottle so as to allow as much CO2 to expel as possible :ib

I would definitely bottle. Moving company move wine all the time. 6 cases shouldn't be a problem, but read the moving contract.

I would definitely bottle. Moving company move wine all the time. 6 cases shouldn't be a problem, but read the moving contract.

The moving company I used would not move "wine/alcohol" but one of the bosses said he'd have no problem shipping marinate.

BTW, they would move firearms with the proper forms filled out.

Last edited:
Thanx, bottling before the move sounds like the right way. I'll vacuum rack now and bottle with neocorks I've got lots of milk crates to protect my carboys

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back