Other Best Place for Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Hello,

New to the hobby and just doing the primary on my first batch. But I'm already looking forward to my next. I do not have a decent brick and mortar option nearby. So I'm wondering if people would mind chiming in with their favorite on line option. I've found some on Amazon, but am always open to others. Thanks a bunch!

Jim

Have you tried myLHBS, a homebrew shop in Falls Church, VA? They are just west of Washington, DC... on the other side of Arlington. Derek is really nice and he can help you... and you won't have to pay shipping!

Hope that helps.

Have you tried myLHBS, a homebrew shop in Falls Church, VA? They are just west of Washington, DC... on the other side of Arlington. Derek is really nice and he can help you... and you won't have to pay shipping!

Hope that helps.

I've heard of them, but they are about 35 minutes from me - 45-55 if traffic is heavy. I'll get down there at some point, but am also looking for other options in the meantime.

Thanks to all for the input!

Jim

Mine is by and far http://finevinewines.com/
They welcome phone calls with your questions, I have them on speed dial. Talk to George (owner) or Joseph (his brother) they are great with technical help and give great selection suggestions. Don't be surprised if George tells you you don't need something you want to buy or if he recommends a less expensive kit from the one you think you want. Join the free club and get 10% off everything. Plus he has monthly sales so you can wait a few months and catch almost everything on sale.

Plus One for George at Finevinewines. He spent 15 mintues on the phone with me the other day suggesting kits to suit my taste and time frames.

I, too, am a big fan of Fine Vine Wines in Carrollton, TX. I have found their selection, prices and customer services, taken as a whole, cannot be surpassed by any other supplier. I wish they carried WineExpert kits too, but you can't have everything.

Last edited:
Wow, overwhelming support for FVW. I've checked them out and they have a very nice selection. I think I'll order my next kit from them.

Can anyone suggest a kit that can be done reasonably quickly? I tend to gravitate toward Cab Sauv, Malbec, Zin, Shiraz/Syrah and the occasional Merlot.

There is the rub. Lower end kits will mature faster but they won't taste all that great. The higher end kits will taste fantastic but you will need to wait at least 12 months for them to be drinkable and 18-24 months for them to fully mature become fantastic. I would go with the higher end kits (anything with a grape pack or skins) Cellar Craft Showcase, RJS Winery Series and then just buy as much commercial wine as you need to have on hand to open to keep you from being tempted to drink early. You will also be starting to save your bottles for bottling this way and have all you need when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back