Best book for beginners

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclekracky

Junior
Reaction score
Ok so I am looking for a good book for the beginner winemaker. Lets assume that this person knows absolutely nothing about making wine. Would like a book that explains things and gives step by step outline without being overwhelming.

Kracky, I can give you the name of three that I like, in this order:

Techniques in Home Winemaking by Daniel Pambianchi
The Way to Make Wine by Sheridan Warrick
Home Winemaking for Dummies by Tim Patterson

The "Dummies" book may raise some eyebrows on the forum, but if you are looking for an easy to understand guide, that one is it. Good luck!

I almost forgot, Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

I recomend "Winemaking" by Anderson. Starts out with the basics, has recipes and Techniques and a good reference and glossary section. Don't have it on the web site yet, but if you are interested just give me a call.

Rocky, IMO, the Pambianchi book, Techniques in Home Winemaking is a wonderful text but not an easy read for someone who knows nothing about wine making. I think it is better suited for someone who has made a couple of batches. It is a fairly dense work and could put a real novice off.

I would recommend C.J.J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking even although the text is a bit dry and old fashioned.

I agree that Sheridan Warrick's The Way to Make Wine is very helpful although it covers topics that I think many new comers to wine making are perhaps not going to get involved with (selecting grapes from the vineyard for example) but I think the book is worth it for the section where Sheridan recaps in a few pages key milestones and the differences between making red and white wines.

Bernard, I have to agree with you. The books I liksted were the best books on wine that I have found, but the Home Winemaking for Dummies is probably the best on that list for a beginner. I also have C. J. J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking and it is also a great resource.

How about if you have been making kits and want to move into fruit and grape wines? and learn about testing ph, TA, SO2 etc?

Techniques in Home Winemaking by Daniel Pambianchi
Home Wine Making Step By Step by Jon Iverson

I have 6 or 7 books on wine making, 5 of which are relatively useless, these two I keep referring back to.

How about if you have been making kits and want to move into fruit and grape wines? and learn about testing ph, TA, SO2 etc?

Pambianchi and resources at sites like morewine. Pambianchi doesn't go into fruit, but then nobody goes to the same depth with fruits other than grapes.

The right book will depend on your goals. If you want basic books with recipes to follow, then the books Rocky listed are probably best. If you want to get into depth - chemistry and such - then Pambianchi is a good one.

Latest posts

Back