Berries on wild roses

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobp

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about wild roses? I found (drove by) some old fence lines with about 2 miles of old huge wild roses growing along them...I have noticed the summer blossoms for years.... the interesting thing that caught my eye was they had millions of bright oarnge/red berries... now i normally brush hog them down when they pop up on my place... but i pulled over and grabbed a handfull of berries and they were "sweetish"... not bitter.. they seemed like they would make decent wine??
Any ideas??

They're called rose hips. Lots of recipes around for rose hip wine.

Steve

Hi Bob, this is my signature wine. I have never used the hips, but I do like Gladys Knight and her pips! LOL

I use the petals. They are only available here for the first 3 weeks in June. This is a tried and true recipe, I am thinking about trying it next year with a little more petals then this recipe calls for, but for now I only have enough left in the freezer to make two more batches.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6925

They tell me that rose hip wine is outrageous, but I am to lazy to pick enough to try, but, I am hoping to one of these days. Hell, its not that easy to pick that many petals but I have. Maybe next year I can afford to hire some kids to do it for me. After I show them my secret technique of course!!! LOL.

This is an older recipe. I promise to update it real soon. But I have this one down. It's wonderful. When I get the updated recipe up, I promise to let you know.

Last edited:
I had assumed they were "Hips" at first... but when I looked up pics of rose hips they didn't look like the ones i found... so i thought i'd ask... after seeing your response i dug a bit deeper, and found them under my states listing...
the good thing is they are plentiful... when i said millions... there really had to be it was un real.... from a distance the bushes look red.. i believ i'll load up the kids (we have 5) this weekend and go see if the birds left any??? When we picked rasberries this summer the kids said i was treating them like migrant workers...LOL but they sure don't mind eating what we make..lol

I like the rose hip flavor. My Aunt used to make a rose hip jelly that was really good but there were some drawbacks, she had to meticulously remove the inner seeds which are surrounded by a fine prickly fuzz or spine. this is why I have never tried to make wine out if the hips. I have often wondered if I could ferment the whole hip in a mesh bag in the wort. I know that as they break down they will release some of the fine irritating spines into the wort. but maybe they could all be removed through racking and a final filtering before the wine was racked. I would like to hear how anyone that has made rose hip wine deals with all the seeds and the fine irritating spines.

I meant to say before the wine was bottled after the last racking.

I recently made a batch of HER (hibiscus elderberry rosehip) wine using dried whole rosehips. I steeped them in twice the amount of boiling water for 20 minutes, allowed everything to cool to room temp and then added to straining bag. I have been using dried rosehips for YEARS and have never had to deal with any spines. Just gently press the rosehip in the straining bag. I also eat them fresh, whole and have no issues. I dry "rosa rugosa".

Sara

Back