Believe it or not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
This weekend went over to Kansas to see some old friends that were making "some wine". The area is sprinkled with many Italians, one of which taught our friend how to make wine. Several of the neighbors split up a load of grapes, I know what you're thinking, a few neighbors a few hundred pounds of grapes, big deal, but their load was an 18 wheeler of Zinfandel grapes from Napa Valley. Our friends were only making about 50 to 70 gallons but the best is yet to come.

They don't know anything about SG readings, they use no yeast (only what stays on the grapes after washing, or just free floating in the air), no sulfates, no Kmeta, no clearing chemicals, no nothing. Five days in the olive barrels, press it, rack it, when it quits bubbling put it in jugs and drink it. The wine may have no real staying power, but like Rick says, you want to look at it or drink it?

I sampled the year old, 2 year old, the first squeezing, the second squeezing and some three year old, would Parker give it a 90 rating, probably not, but old Homer didn't have any problem swilling it down. bk

It's probably worked for man much like that for thousands of years. And here we go... making complicated what should be a simple way of life.

I love to hear that!! This is the way I've been making by wine for about 7yrs, passed down to me from my grandfather ( who came to the US 55yrs ago, when he was 18). He's been doing his wine this way since his father taught him in Calabria, where he taught me in CT!! I loving hearig about the old fashion wine makers! :) GREAT STORY... I BELIEVE IT!! haha

My biggest problem is My wine won't last me more than a year... There must be a hole in my Carboys... :)

oh I know that feeling all to well I'm lucky if I got enough to bottle LOL

My grandfather started making wine when he was a boy with his father in Italy, at the age of 18 he came to the US and started making wine with his best friend that came over with him. Together they have been making wine for roughly 70+ yrs and as far as I have ever known the only batch of his that was ruined was when I was about ten I sneaked into the celler to try some and forgot to put the bung back.... BUSTED!!
I've been makig it for about 7yrs on my own and with him and haven't had a bad batch. It takes longer than adding extra yeast but it works for me :)

I've been makig it for about 7yrs on my own and with him and haven't had a bad batch. It takes longer than adding extra yeast but it works for me :)

That is remarkable. Of course the organic wines don't have any sulfates or sorbate.
Question: did you and/or your grandpa ever make any wines that are drank sweetened?

I also have some family members that make wine the old world way some of them arent that good but 1 of my cousins does a good job.I find that when their wines get some age on them you start to taste off flavors and fizz to it.But he still loves it.

We typically look for a nice whole-sum looking bunch of grapes. Some what firm when you press them between your fingers, but not hard. this will ensure that the grape is young and can with stand the fermentation and the pressing, while still being able to age and not become bitter or sour... my grandfather has the eye, i'm slowly getting it too the past few years he has picked them out without me, but that's not the case anymore :)

Well, I suppose that the "firmness" can equate to a grape that is not too ripe, which I suppose can equate to a higher acid content.

The grapes I get are shipped from Ca and are always too low in acid (overripe). I always test and adjust the acid. If I didn't, the wine would surely have problems.

Just to say it again, To make a good wine, start with a good grape.

I would be more than interested in hearing as much detail as possible on your Grandfather's grape selection process. Anything more on how the grapes should taste, color, etc?

Latest posts

Back