Beginner's Wine Making Kit as a Gift

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaydeaux

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be honest and say that I don't have a clue what it takes to make wine, nor do I want to. But, my husband has been itching to make his own wine for ages, he just hasn't ever actually gotten around to doing so. His birthday is coming up soon and I really want to get him a wine making kit.

So, I just want some ideas on what would be best for him. I'm looking to spend less than $100 and found the "Vintner's Best One Gallon Wine Equipment Kit" to be in the $50 range. Is it any good or do you all have any other suggestions?

I appreciate it!

I woul dget hime a 6 gallon kit because most (If not all) wine kits a for 6 gallon and he can make a 1 gallon batch with a 6 gallon kit (all he needs is a 5$ 1 gallon carboy) but he'll never be able to fit a 6 gallon kit in 1 gallon quipment!!:)

Good luck, I hope he really gets into it, you'll be able to enjoy the finished product too!! ;)

That is a good start; as they say, it will wet his whistle. You will at least not spend too much money, in case he looses interest.

If he really wants to continue, he will likely want to eventually start making 30-bottle kits, which require equipment for making 6 gallons at a time. If he does continue, nothing you buy with that smaller kit will go to waste; gallon sized vessels always come in handy.

If you want to go cheap check the used market in your area. I got pretty much everything used and saved a ton of money doing it that way. Even got a bunch of free wine bottles.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Do you have a local home brew store? If so, I'd suggest you go have a look and see what is available.. 1 gallon kits are a good start and as robie says.. 1 gallon containers always come in handy at a later date.

Be prepared for a bit of winemaking obsession from your bloke for a while..make sure you get him online here if he needs help with anything..

That's what we're here for.

Allie

I didn't think they even sold 1 gallon kits in texas....I taught everything was bigger in Texas!:):)

I think it depends what he wants to do, if he wants to make wine from kits, a 6 gallon kit would be better

Personally, I'd tell you to get the larger equipment kit (6 gallon). Is there any chance you can find another person to help cover the cost and give it as a group gift? I say this for a couple of reasons:
- kit wines are great for beginners, you'll get good results and you have all the instructions included; most kits make 6 gallons
- the effort to make 1 gallon or 6 gallons is almost the same; 1 gallon will give you about 5 bottles where a 6 gallon will produce 30. 5 bottles is fine until you decide you like the wine and wish you had a few more to share
- if you decide to get out of the hobby, you'll have no problem selling 6 gallon equipment but there is much less demand for 1 gallon
- big boys like big toys, the little sissy jugs don't have the same appeal to us manly types. My glass is bigger than the 1 gallon kit!
muscle.gif

Last edited:
Since part of the fun is picking out & buying equipment, get him a $500. gift certificate. :)

It appears you have the good fortune to live reasonably close to a large brew and winemaking store, Austin Homebrew. They list this 6-gallon winemaking kit:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...=1090&osCsid=e75167aa744f1c88fcc37b556663f988

It's more money than you wanted to spend, but you could probably get the stuff he needs right away for $100 and tell your husband he's on his own for the corker and corks.

Or as Bob said, a gift certificate would be good. He'd probably pick up some knowledge while doing the shopping for himself.

In any event, unless he's specifically asked for a 1-gallon setup, I'd definitely go for the 6.

Jim

Latest posts

Back