Beginner Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finding bottles for the 'left-over' wine is a little tricky but worthwhile. I found a couple of 20 oz bottles that a drilled bung fits nicely allowing me to put an airlock on that.

As to the idea of just using straight sugar added to the must, there is the problem of getting it all dissolved. It takes less time to make a simple syrup ahead and add it in knowing that all the sugar is dissolved. Otherwise you spend time stirring and stirring and never being able to see if the sugar is fully dissolved. Every once in while someone will post a question about why their SG went UP after the fermentation started. In most cases that's because they had undissolved sugar in the must that dissolved after they pitched the yeast. In the case of a fast fermenting wine must that means you may have a higher ABV than expected OR you might exceed the ABV limits of your yeast as that undissolved sugar dissolves.

A few simple prep steps like preparing a simple syrup, can save you a lot of time give you more accurate initial SG readings and in the case of yeast starters, result in a faster startup of the fermentation. Making the "Rich" simple syrup that I use means it's a lot easier to raise the SG without exceeding my target volumes and it also means less time stirring a fermentation bucket. I let the microwave heat my water and after a little bit of stirring I Let the syrup cool down while I do other prep work.

In terms of volumes the amount to overshoot is dictated by the amount of lees you expect. If you are working with real whole fruit you are going to need more volume to off set the loss from lees OR you can use more fruit per gallon and just know that you are going to lose the concentration of fruit per gallon as the process goes on. BUT topping off with water, especially after that initial larger quantity of lees is lost means you also reduce your ABV. So aiming high for starting volume means a more accurate knowledge of the ending ABV. For a 1 gallon batch with fruit I try to start with at least 1 1/3 gallons or if you know you will have a LOT of lees perhaps go as high as 1 1/2 gallons for a one gallon batch.

It's sounds overwhelming at first but after a few batches you get the hang of it. Blackberry by the way hasn't been hard to clear nor does it have a large quantity of lees so blackberry is a good starter wine.

Last edited:
I was hoping to do something similar to this. How do you store that 750 ml bottle do you need an airlock on top of that to keep it from going bad?

The normal "universal bung" for carboys also works for bottles. You just turn it upside down!
image_2958.jpg

I was hoping to do something similar to this. How do you store that 750 ml bottle do you need an airlock on top of that to keep it from going bad?

Yes, I have bungs and airlocks that will fit anything from a 187ml to a 6 gal. carboy.
Actually you only need two sizes, one for the 187, 375 and 750ml bottles, and one for the 1 - 6 gal. carboys.

As far as getting all the sugar dissolved, I have never had a problem in 5 yrs. of making wine. It really comes down to personal preference. It is quicker and easier for me to add the sugar rather than boiling water, adding sugar, waiting for it to cool, then adding the additional volume of liquid. Again, this is just how I do it and have never had a problem.

Last edited:

Your local home brew store will have drilled bungs that will fit a wine bottle - but in fact if you store this "topping up" wine in the fridge you will likely find that the cold temperature will make the yeast go dormant and the CO2 will remain suspended and not put enough pressure on a regular cork to pop it ...I typically use mason jars or even glass containers that held honey...

I will definitely have to go check out my local homebrew store. The stuff i have now has all came from online so i need to check out my local place.

I like the idea of putting extra into the wine bottle to save for topping up, id like to not have to add store bought wine and keep it all as my own recipe if that makes sense.

I appreciate all the help, im planning on getting all my fruit this weekend and starting on this sometime next week and im so anxious to start. The information from everyone has given on here has been extremely helpful and makes me confident i can make a pretty decent batch on my first try.

Only thing I will say about the "Extra Wine" Storage containers - I don't recommend using a metal lid to cover them. If you only have a metal lid (Like a mason jar) cut up a baggie and put that between the glass and the lid. I've had too many nasty smelling and tasting wine leftovers that were tainted by the metal lid reacting with the Alcohol, acids, and sulfites in the wine.

Only thing I will say about the "Extra Wine" Storage containers - I don't recommend using a metal lid to cover them. If you only have a metal lid (Like a mason jar) cut up a baggie and put that between the glass and the lid. I've had too many nasty smelling and tasting wine leftovers that were tainted by the metal lid reacting with the Alcohol, acids, and sulfites in the wine.

I will keep that in mind. Ill probably try to stick to using a wine bottle with a bung/airlock on it.

One other question that popped in my head is about sterilizing solution. Obviously before adding things to my primary fermenter and when racking ill just mix up solution and sanitize everything. But once its in my carboy and i want to take a hydrometer reading i dont really want to fill up the sink and mix a bit batch of k-meta sanitizing solution since it seems like a waste. Does anyone mix smaller amounts for use when you just need hydrometer/wine theif or just go ahead and mix a full batch anytime you need it?

Does anyone mix smaller amounts for use when you just need hydrometer/wine theif or just go ahead and mix a full batch anytime you need it?

Yup. I (and many others) keep a spray bottle filled with k-meta solution. A couple of quick spritzes take care of your hydrometer and thief.

Awesome, thats what i will do then. Is there any specific ratio of k-meta and water you use in it? I would imagine it keeps for a decent length of time maybe 3-6 months?

During the first couple of weeks you will/should be using the sanitizing solution liberally. It's not expensive and compared to the potential of NOT using it frequently.... I use starsan and mix one gallon at a time (Using distilled water from wallyworld) Everything used in my process gets a bath in it when I'm finished using it and often before I use it again. 4 Liter (Carlo Rossi Wines) empties are easy to find at our local recycling center. Think I have about a dozen of them now)

K-Meta, Star-San, OneStep, or whatever you use, be liberal with it. I even douse my wash rags in the stuff before I put them up to dry. When in doubt sanitize it again. Most of the products you use should last at least a week or so once mixed up.

The spray bottle is a great way to go as well.

Second that, have a spray bottle with k-meta and a spray bottle with b-brite.

For some reason all my pictures are sideways.

IMG_3459.jpg

Back