Beet Wine Update and Newbie Comedy of Errors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xandra

Reaction score
Just got my new 5-gal carboy, figured I'd rack my beet wine off its sediment. Sanitized the new carboy and new "long" racking cane, got the 5-gals of wine on the cupboard, empty carboy on the floor. Hmmm. This racking cane isn't the same as my shorter one, I'm going to have to manually start this siphon. Oh well, I've siphoned gasoline from one place to the next most of my life, this'll be easy.

In theory. You all know what one does with a mouthful of gasoline, right? Um, yeah. Beet wine all over my bare feet, floor and cupboard doors. :br Got that cleaned up, regrouped, and managed several tasty (hic!) swallows before I could get a good flow going. Got 'er done tho!

Topped off with some of my original batch, decided to stir the heck out of it with the racking cane, got tons of bubbles! Discovered that I could get lots more bubbles by tapping the sides of the carboy, as well. Got done with that, reattached a clean airlock, and set aside for aging. Already the flavor is nice, I'm not going to have to backsweeten it at all, and I can't wait for it to age some more! Well - I have to wait but I don't want to :) But I will.

So far, it's full bodied, can taste just a hint of the spices I used, pretty hot on the throat yet and it was super bubbly. It doesn't have a beet flavor per se, it's kind of an earthy fruity flavor and I'd say about medium-dry.

Started it on 7/28. ABV... well, it was 1.092 to start, and approximately 1.000 (new hydrometer sunk out of sight, old hydrometer said 1.000) when I racked it the first time into the carboy, so the calculator tells me it's 12.21%. But I didn't test it when I racked it today...

Beet Wine 9-5-13.jpg

Howdy! Missed y'all, been so busy I haven't been able to see straight. No, not busy drinking, LOL, although some of that has occurred as well!

Wanted to drop back by and give a progress report on my 2 beet wines and my pineapple wine. Last racking of the 5-gallons was 9/5, racked again today, of course had to pour a glass. Nice!! Think I'm going to go ahead and bottle it over the next week or so. The single gallon I racked off too, and tasted... bottled that today. 5 bottles and a bit to top off the carboy. Pineapple was racked too, it's clearing very nicely and definitely has a punch to it. No vinegars yet, LOL!

So, here's a picture of my bottled beet, 4 green bottles and one clear so the clarity can stand out. Can someone tell me how the heck to get those shrink-wrap things to shrink-wrap on right??? Anyways, hope all is well and perhaps once I get back from FLETC in a couple weeks and Christmas is done, I hope to be back more regularly and start something else new and adventuresome :)

1st Bottles Beet Wine.jpg

xandra...the best way to shrink the shrink capsules is get a big pot of boiling water,,,,put your shrink wrap cap on, hold bottle at a angle ...
pour water over, and very fast pour it again..done...
nice looking wine for...i hate to say it....I*OOOOObeets)))))))))

That colour is beautiful Xandra!
WOW! Just WOW!
I heard to store them in the dark, or the colour fades.

I use a heat gun for my caps. Hold them down with a stick, and then just run the gun around.
I found it (personally) easier than the boiling water method.
Plus I have power in my wine room, but no water or sink.

Thanks guys!!! By the way... where does the air go when the cork goes in??

I think the easiest way to get the shrink wraps on is to bring medium pot water to a boil; place cap on the bottle; turn bottle upside down, holding the shrink wrap on the bottle with a fork; dip it in the boiling water. It is very quick.

Great looking wine! I've been wondering about beet and how it turns out...

I use my hair dryer for the caps. Just put it on high heat almost touching the cop of the cap. Works beautifully.

The air compresses some. Leave the bottles stand upright for a few days. If the corks do not push back out you are fine and can lay them down. Arne.

Oh, BEET wine! I first read your post as BEER wine and was wondered "What is this guy talking about?", "Is he combining his beer making hobby with wine making?". LOL

Kinda miss the days of manually starting the siphon. It was always an excuse to taste what is going on. Now I either use one of the big orange carboy caps or vacuum. Either way the accidental tasting does not happen. Before you ask, orange cap on the sending carboy, racking cane in it. Hose to receiving carboy, blow in the hole that does not have the racking cane in it. Siphon started. (sending carboy high, receiving carboy low.) Arne.

Hi all, sorry to hijack your post but I was wondering how you make your beet wine, I tried it this past fall with a recipe from a wine making book and could not get it to start fermenting, I eventually dumped it but I dont want to give up on it, I love beets and we grow them every year.
thank you

Here ya go jerryd68, check this post I made on my recipe and process... http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/fresh-batch-beet-wine-39678/

Obviously, it worked ;) Good luck, don't stop trying!!

Thank you, all of you for your advice on shrinking capsules and your complimentary comments on my first 5 bottles! The family is eager to try this out for Thanksgiving dinner, I'm nervous, LOL!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back