Beer Runneth Over

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Started my Irish Stout yesterday. Fermentation is definitely in full force!!! It is foaming over the primary bucket!!!!!! Like ocean foam!!
I am assuming my bucket wasn't large enough???? haha
I am using my wine primary bucket. :(
Is this normal for this much foam?????

Is this a BrewHouse Kit? I assume since you said wine primary bucket this is a 7.9 gal bucket?

I figure that's normal for a Brew House kit. I've made 2 batches of the IPA several months ago. I ended up having to use a blow off tube to keep the mess under control.

Use a 10 gallon primary with BrewHouse kits, or you must use a blowoff tube. Even on the 10 gallon, with some types of beer, high krausen can be about 3" under the lid.

And once you brew beer in a primary, you'll know from the smell, that you'll only want to brew beer in that primary again. However, once you taste your own beer, you'll never want to purchase mass produced, bland tasteless beer again either. You'll start to purchase craft brews, and then wonder how you can clone them for yourself!

what is a blowoff tube and where do I get one for the next batch? lol

Masta, yup, it is a Brewhouse Kit. yup, it is a 7.9 gal bucket. Nope, obviously it isn't big enough!! hahahaha

Where do I get a blow house thinigie?

if the hole in your bucket lid is big enough, fit at least a 1/2" inner diameter hose into the hole, and then place the other end of that hose in a pail/bowl of water. This basically makes a big airlock, but allows enough foam to blow through without seeping out of the sides, etc.

Here's a photo:
Fermenting.jpg

I have the Cream Ale kit and will probably mix all together in 1 primary and then split it into 2 buckets. I will be doing all grain batches soon and will have to buy a 10 gallon bucket soon.

I make mostall of my batches in either a 7.9 plastic bucket or my 7.5 gallon conical. I have never had a krausen blow through the airlock on that size. I have had them erupt in a 6.5 gallon carboy though. I just made an all grain dry stout. Not much krausen on it at all. I used the White Labs Irish Ale yeast.

smurfe, note to self, need a 10 gal primary bucket for beer and NEW primary bucket for my wine.
smiley36.gif

Well, I spoke to soon. I just checked the beer fridge and I have sticky sweet stout wort all over the conical and fridge! I had a major eruption! I did have the fermenter pretty full. I should knew better.Edited by: smurfe

I havent started mine yet, poor Smurf had blow off though! UAV, what size bucket were you using, a 6.5 or 7.9 gallon?

Wade, it was my primary bucket for wine. So I am guessing it is the 6.5 gal. bucket.

Got to order 2 new buckets from George. One for wine and the 10 gal for beer. Whoa is me.
smiley36.gif

You should check out your primary bucket and see if its really a 6.5. You wont want to do a big red kit in that small of a bucket.

Dean, did you lock your lid down on your primary bucket?
I am definitely using a blow off tube!!

Latest posts

Back