Barrel Aging & Sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
If you plan on barrel aging a wine, should you sulfite it prior to putting it in the barrel?

If so, what about MLF? Should you wait until it is finished before putting the wine in a barrel or add the culture after enough time has gone by to ensure there is not enough SO2 left to inhibit MLF?

I do sequential mlf in the barrel. Ferment, press, let settle for 24-48 hours, pump to barrel add mlb. After mlf is complete, rack and add SO2 based on pH. Since SO2 inhibits the mlb’s abilities, you want to wait until after mlf has been completed. There is some CO2 created in mlf, which helps protect the wine.
I suppose if I had stainless steel container to complete mlf in, before going to barrel, I would do that to save having to clean out the barrrel, but it’s not a big chore when I’m only making a barrel or two.

I also to sequential mlf but since I don't make the quantities NorCal does I let the mlf finish in carboys prior to sulfiting and putting it in a barrel. My reasoning is it takes such a long time to finish and I can control the headspace better in a carboy. Since I keep it with almost no headspace the only problem I have is fluctuation with temperature changes and sometimes it fills the air lock.

Latest posts

Back