Mosti Mondiale Barolo or Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RParker

Junior
Reaction score
I want to do a big age worthy red and can not choose between the two above. All opinions are welcome

I think the Barolo is a bigger wine. It will be dryer as the Amarone is perceived to have a very slight sweetness to it while the Barolo will suck you dry! Oh, by the way, welcome to this forum and please share your experiences and introduce yourself. Hope you stay awhile.

Edited by: wade

I think the Amarone is just as dry as the Borolo. Many do think their is a sweetness to an Amarone but I feel it is a perceived sweetness that is coming from the raisin flavor that comes through in the Amarone. I have tried both but only made the Amarone, a Cellar Craft grape pack kit that is fantastic IMHO. Like most said though, you won't go wrong with either.

I only say that because thats what people say and it is actually listed as a 1 on sweetness.

Yes, my amarone attacks like it is going to be sweet when you take a sip, but it finishes dry. Very interesting flavor.

Peter, your amarrone attacked you? Better ship them to me so I can guard you against anymore attacks.
smiley36.gif

uavwmn, the amarone is safely locked in a carboy and only attacks when I do a little carboy sipping. Since I only let a little out at a time, the attack can be fended off with ease.
smiley36.gif
smiley16.gif

These are two very fine wines. I am an amarone' vintner and have tried various kits over the past 2 years. In fact, I'm going to place my amarone' in the 2008 International Wine Competition (I only hope it does as well as my Reisling-Gold). If all goes well, the Amarone' should have a slight residual edge on sugar around 1% or so. This will come from the Raisins, which I primary only and do stir occasionally in the primary. However, I do let my primary go farther into the fermentation than Winexpert or Mosti recommends (around .1000 or less). I find the complexity is much more pronounced and a very full body at the end. Barolo is drier than the Amarone and is intended too. Your residual sugar should be less than 1% if any at all. Again, I ferment my Barolo down past .1000 before converting to secondary. Although I do not put the raisins in the secondary, I will move the lees into the secondary. This is the key to very complex and full bodywines. I actually bulk age these two wines and even my Reislings on top of the lees. I top off with my wine style and add no water. Mosti requires and I do so to my winexpert kits even though winexpert prefers water. I would guess my bulk aging process will sit anywhere from2 to 3 months before I start moving the wine into the "clarifying" process which will take another month altogether before I bottle (about 2 rackings). Once in the bottle, Winexpert can be drank quicker than Mosti, but the taste difference clearly favors Mosti. I have compared my Amarone' against some $100+ bottles and I'm very close to those. Just need more time in the bottle since these are only 1 year old. Barolo comes along a little quicker in the bottle, but could still sit a little longer. For you, just stick with the instructions and you will do fine. I've done this for awhile and I have to keep the neighbors away and some influential people at work. A few want me to do this for a living, but I enjoy the hobby side. Let me know if I can be of help and Iwill shut up. Good luck!!

Hi jjk:

1) Wondering which specific Mosti Amarone/Barolo kits your referring to: Renaissance, All Juice pail, Megioli, etc?

2) "...the taste difference clearly favors Mosti. " Would you provide us with your tasting notes on specific Mosti kits? Am also switching to Mosti products so any specific Mosti kit information/experience would be helpful.

Thanks,

I use the All Juice product and haven't decided if I really want to make the jump to the Megioli line. I'm currently tweaking the Amarone' again except I'm using barrel spirals for more oak flavor than the bag of oak. I would strongly encourage adding more oak for more smoke/vanilla/cherry/plum off flavors. Medium oak works the best.

So far I have tried the Merlot. It was okay, but I think that specific batch of juice did not have a good year. Flavor was no where near a Merlot style and too much residual sugar despite a SG of .990. I would stear away for another year and try the next batch unless blending. The Petite Syrah is pleasant with smooth chocolate/cherry off flavors. residual sugar below 1% and pleasently dry, but not too much. The Barolo is maturing quite nicely with a robust aroma of a very good Italian Red. Will bless a large room like a winery. Can't wait to taste this in another 6 months. The key for a Mosti kit is time and patience. I too, taste the change during racking and will consume a bottleper month to taste the maturity and complexity. I'm surprised the Mosti Kits did not place better in 2007, but I hope to change that in 2008. I have not tried the Reisling since I placed gold with the Washington Valley Reisling. I do cold maturation with extended lees contact on that Winexpert Kit. Thinking about doing a Mosti Kit for comparison. I have done an ArgentineMalbec and it too is smoothing out quite well. Nice smokey black cherry plum after taste with a hint of vanilla oak. Might put this in the competition, but still need a little more bottle time. Of course the Amarone' is the choice and you will need a year to really pick up on the complexity of this wine. Very smooth with blackcherry/plum after taste with a moderate oak vanilla aroma. Around 1% residual sugar with alcohol level 13%. I hope this helps.

Great thanks for the tasting information, my next kits will be the Amarone and Barolo All Juice pails. If not in stock will still go with the Renaissance line.

Oh yea, I forgot....I have a Chardonnay that will go to the 2008 competition. If you like a good White Wine, by all means try this one from Mosti. I did a cold maturation at 60 degrees, medium oak spiral and a top off with my winexpert Luna Bianca. Geeezz, talk about robust. Once you pop the cork, you get a heavy vanilla odor almost like a butterscotch aroma with just a hint of oak. The taste is smooth and refreshing with an oak filled vanilla cream pie. You should try this and top off with something similar to the Luna Bianca.

Latest posts

Back