ballon on top of the carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
When it says to stretch a large ballon over the neck of a bottle can do they mean the opening with the ring around it ,or can you sort of rip the ballon and after pushing some into the neck ,duct tape it to the outer neck ? it seems to me the opening on ballons is very small ..
Neil

They are not talikng about using them on a 5 or 6 gallon carboy, they are talking about a wine bottle or you would need a much larger ballon. Get an rubber bing or even beter a silocone bung and an airlock. bothe of these 2 pces. together would cost about $4 so its not like you cany affors them.

On large carboys, use an unlubricated condom like Trojan Maxum. The ladies at the drug store will be impressed.

When it says to stretch a large ballon over the neck of a bottle can do they mean the opening with the ring around it ,or can you sort of rip the ballon and after pushing some into the neck ,duct tape it to the outer neck ? it seems to me the opening on ballons is very small ..
Neil
I don't know where in Calgary you live, but there are lots of good stores there. Visit one, and pick up a bung and air-lock. A balloon is the old way.

If you want a recommendation, try The Wine Warehouse (I only suggest them because I have chatted with the owner). There are lots of others.
http://www.thewinewarehouse.ca/

Steve

Duct tape is only good for repairing automobiles.

..... and birth control.
a-ducktape.gif

Madmike ,thats a great photo ...
I went to walmart last night and got a bag of assorted size ballons..I stretched one over each bottle I'm using 750 liter wine bottles ( lots of them thats why I did not buy wine locks this is my first time ,so I will be getting more practical stuff as I go along..
I put the ballons on last night with the bottles full to the top ,this morning they are still limp ...how long before they start to fill? I poked a small needle through each one before puting them on the bottles ( each balon has 2 holes ).

or get a hose that wil seal on the carboid and put it in to a bucket of water the bad thing about a baloon you are taking a good chance in wild yeast contamination

I tried the balloon thing at first and found it to ba a pain and unsanitary. I bought an airlock for $1.10 and a drilled bung for $.50 . Waaay better setup. I know have about a dozen locks and bungs. For what it costs to buy balloons and mess with them, you could get an airlock.

Latest posts

Back