Back Sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR324

Reaction score
I wanted to make a blueberry or blackberry wine. I have made blueberry in the past with good success but made it in a claret style. I want to make a batch that is slightly off dry by back sweetening, which I’ve never done as I usually make Merlot, Malbec etc.

I know sorbate and kmeta are used but can’t find the amount used per liter or gallon. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I follow the package directions for sorbate, which is 1/2 tsp per gallon, so I used 3 tsp in my latest 6 gallon batch of Skeeter Pee.

For kmeta, I use 1/4 tsp for 5 to 6 gallons.

For what it's worth, if you bulk age the wine for 9 to 12 months before backsweetening, you can skip the sorbate since all the yeastie beasties should be dead by then. I am planning to do that with a peach wine I made this year.

We can use less sorbate with higher alcohol wines.
878C1A2E-5351-4C5F-90F3-F00A1CAE70EC.jpeg
Sorbic acid WILL break down over time, ethyl sorbate is described as bubble gum flavor/ detectable at about 20 ppm. It is used as a flavoring in the food industry so it is pleasing, OK to consume. Therefore when I use K Sorbate I put the lowest dose in that I can. Usually I let the carboy sit 9 months at RT then skip sorbate.

I follow the package directions for sorbate, which is 1/2 tsp per gallon, so I used 3 tsp in my latest 6 gallon batch of Skeeter Pee.

For kmeta, I use 1/4 tsp for 5 to 6 gallons.

For what it's worth, if you bulk age the wine for 9 to 12 months before backsweetening, you can skip the sorbate since all the yeastie beasties should be dead by then. I am planning to do that with a peach wine I made this year.
Perfect. Thanks. I’d prefer less chemicals and usually bulk age for at least 8 months.

We can use less sorbate with higher alcohol wines.
View attachment 94319
Sorbic acid WILL break down over time, ethyl sorbate is described as bubble gum flavor/ detectable at about 20 ppm. It is used as a flavoring in the food industry so it is pleasing, OK to consume. Therefore when I use K Sorbate I put the lowest dose in that I can. Usually I let the carboy sit 9 months at RT then skip sorbate.
Thanks. Less is often times better

I have an experiment in progress -- I just bottled most of a batch of Elderberry from concentrate, adding sorbate prior to backsweetening. I reserved 4 liters and will bottle that in 4 to 6 months without sorbate. I will be conducting taste tests to see how much the sorbate and no-sorbate wines taste alike or differently.

Last edited:
I have an experiment in progress -- I just bottled most of a batch of Elderberry from concentrate, adding sorbate prior to backsweetening. I reserved 4 liters and will bottle that in 4 to 6 months without sorbate. I will be conducting taste tests to see how much the sorbate and no-sorbate wines taste alike or differently.
Love to know the outcome of that. I have never used sorbate. I usually bulk for a long time and am never in a hurry to bottle. However, I want to try enhancing the fruit in some fruit wines by trying my hand at back sweetening and don’t want a mess on my hands.

I like the chart shared by @Rice_Guy. Here is a good article that explains how sorbate works and why the pH and ABV affect how much is needed: http://nanaimowinemakers.com/potassium-sorbate/

Daniel Pambianchi has created a spreadsheet to calculate the amount of sorbate to add based on ABV, pH, and volume. Like @Rice_Guy, I want to add only as much as necessary.

One interesting comment in the article cited above is this:
Sorbic acid is very stable in wine. It does not combine with other elements and thereby lose its potency.
@Rice_Guy I was wondering if you could explain a little more about what you said about sorbate breaking down, including the time frame.

@BigDaveK, any time the ABV exceeds the yeast's alcohol tolerance, sorbate is unnecessary. The chocolate raspberry Port I recently bottled is 17.7%. even with EC-1118, I'm certain I could have skipped the stabilizing pack. If I had it to do again, I'd have added enough Everclear to bump it to 19%.

When we bottle the 2021 wines, I'm reserving 4 liters, back sweetening, and bumping to 21% with Everclear. Between the age (>10 months) and the ABV, no sorbate needed.

@Raptor99 I am on the learning curve, ,, mainly since I would like to intentionally produce some for training contest judges. I have not hunted enough to find conditions of pH/ temperature/ concentration/ yeast. Organic chem, ,,, fruity esthers are naturally reacted between a acid (sorbic acid or malic etc) and an alcohol (ethyl alcohol)
D7A509E9-962F-4617-BA9E-7FCB83351343.jpeg
(from Nov Winemaker Magazine)
I have come across several wines which have it and kept a third full bottle for several weeks > tried to pass demonstration samples at a vinters meeting and been disappointed that bubble gum is reduced and acetaldehyde is the dominant aromatic.

I just keep adding sugar to the wine to a specific SG, when it’s stops fermenting I leave it a year, then bottle it.
I always take the wine to a point where the alcohol kills the yeast, I quite like the sweetness at 1.007.

So if I am understanding this right, my wine that is bulk aged for 12 months does not need sorbate after back sweetening? I had a couple of bottles that produced quite a few bubbles after adding sugar. Will this cause problems if I bottle?

So if I am understanding this right, my wine that is bulk aged for 12 months does not need sorbate after back sweetening? I had a couple of bottles that produced quite a few bubbles after adding sugar. Will this cause problems if I bottle?
I tried no-sorbate with a 13+ month old wine and got refermentation in the bottle. So I resumed adding sorbate when backsweetening.

My track record with no sorbate at one year(ish) is 3 for 4… that fourth one became purple volcanos.
IMG_2842.jpeg
This one was 11 months since fermentation was complete. I had to unbottle something like 7 gallons of wine!

My track record with no sorbate at one year(ish) is 3 for 4… that fourth one became purple volcanos.
View attachment 110414
This one was 11 months since fermentation was complete. I had to unbottle something like 7 gallons of wine!
I never get tired of seeing that photo!😆

Back