Back sweeten question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcjab

Junior
Reaction score
I have 6 gal Chianti at .996 SG. I would like to get it to around 1.000 as that is my preferred SG of wines I purchase. I tried the wine calc, that however gives me an error message, the same one other people are getting. I read on here somewhere that 1 cup of sugar raises the SG .018. At what volume of wine is that being added to? I know there are numerous different sizes of carboys.

you'll need roughly 247 grams of sugar. Enter your target SG and Starting SG as whole numbers, 996 and 1000. You'll get an error if you enter 1.000 and .996.

For your reference. 4 ounces of sugar by weight, will raise gravity .010 (gallon)

To get a reading when it's not divisable by 10 use your calculator.
4 divided by 10 (.4) times the difference of your 2 wines equals amount of sugar by weight per gallon.

If your gravity is below .990 you will need more so add some sugar to get it above .990 then calculate.

I have 6 gal Chianti at .996 SG. I would like to get it to around 1.000 as that is my preferred SG of wines I purchase. I tried the wine calc, that however gives me an error message, the same one other people are getting. I read on here somewhere that 1 cup of sugar raises the SG .018. At what volume of wine is that being added to? I know there are numerous different sizes of carboys.

by gallon, stop one cup short of what you need to get to the sg you want and take a reading.

Thanks Julie.

Yes aim on the low side and then check and adjust. You can't go back.

By weight-7 ounces approx. white sugar. 8 ounces by volume.

When I added sugar by weight I was always high. Glad I did it in incriments. Now I weigh and I'm right on.

Thanks, guys. I knew that, by volume, it was 8 ounces, but I didn't know the weight of it.

Back