WineXpert Away on vacation debacle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billaban

Reaction score
Greetings,

First batch was all good until I went on vacation for about 9 days. While gone at some point my first batch which was reaching the end of secondary fermentation went really bad. The thermostat sensor taped to the side of the carboy came off. Fermwrap was running (presumably) 24/7 for who knows how long. When I got back yesterday and found the fubar I secured the sensor (with better tape than electrical tape) and found that my batch of Chianti was up to a whopping 95 degrees. Wow.

I suspect that it was near the end of secondary before the sensor came off. I presume that the batch is ruined but thought I would query here for confirmation. If not ruined I presume that maybe I should pitch again now that a proper temp is being maintained to ensure that ferm will be completed.

Comments/suggestions?

Last edited:
What is the gravity? Did it complete fermentation? Does it smell? More info please on current condition.

95 degrees likely didn't kill your yeast. my packs usually have me rehydrate in over 100 degree water. with that said though, i'm sure they would have made some interesting flavours if fermentation was still taking place when those temps were reached.

smell it, taste it then post it here.

Like the others said, check the specific gravity. If it was that warm most of the time, it probably finished up and should be alright even if the temp was higher than desired.

Addendum

SG is .990

Smells like wine, tastes pretty good for very young wine. Perhaps I am still in business. Most wonderful.

Thanks for the insights. Any further comments/suggestions are welcome.

Sounds great. It's done fermenting. Continue with the directions.

Glad it turned out.

It's ruined! Send it to me for disposal :)

I would suggest accelerating the addition of Kmeta if you have not done so already. Also, while it is super hot, you may want to degas right away, should be easier at this temp.

Latest posts

Back