SG won’t drop

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering what you all would in this situation. Three 6 gallon batches went along just fine. All in secondary SG dropped as needed. The Chianti on the other hand won’t go below 1.007. I added package of ec1118 because I didn’t trust the bm4x4. It got down to 58* and might have killed the yeast. Put a thermostat controlled heat belt on the pail for a week at an even 76*. Still no drop so I racked to a carboy with the heat for another week. Just took a reading still at 1.007. I tasted and it is a bit sweet. Not foul just a bit sweet. So what would you do at this point. Take off the belt and let it clear? Is there any risk of exploding bottles if the SG doesn’t move or will I simply have a sweet wine.

Thanks

1.6 brix (% sugar) is pretty sweet; in the white Zin range. If it were me (assuming starting brix around 24), I would take 1 gallon out, raise the brix to 5, add nutrient and get a real good starter going. Once the gallon has dropped to 2 brix, add another gallon, then repeat as it drops and add more nutrient along the way until all 5 gallons are back in one container. I’ve had success doing it this way.

1.6 brix (% sugar) is pretty sweet; in the white Zin range. If it were me (assuming starting brix around 24), I would take 1 gallon out, raise the brix to 5, add nutrient and get a real good starter going. Once the gallon has dropped to 2 brix, add another gallon, then repeat as it drops and add more nutrient along the way until all 5 gallons are back in one container. I’ve had success doing it this way.

This was my thought since I won’t be back to the wine until next weekend. Turn the temperature down a bit for now so it doesn’t get really cold.
Then next weekend rack into a pail with the heat belt and pitch some ec1118 and let it finish. My concern is waiting a week. Does waiting present any problems?

This was my thought since I won’t be back to the wine until next weekend. Turn the temperature down a bit for now so it doesn’t get really cold.
Then next weekend rack into a pail with the heat belt and pitch some ec1118 and let it finish. My concern is waiting a week. Does waiting present any problems?
I tried all sorts of things for two months, my first winemaking year, with 60 gallons of 7 brix Zin. So, a week shouldn’t change anything.

My guess would be to add more yeast when it is at the higher temp. Maybe the low temp killed the yeast, and that is why it is stuck. $1 fix, possibly.

i got a slightly sweet merlot due to taking off temporature control too early, thinking about starting another cab or merlot and adding the sweet one gradually in when vigorous fermwntation is on progress. hope it can finish the sugar. of course, this time temporature will be strictly controlled.

i got a slightly sweet merlot due to taking off temporature control too early, thinking about starting another cab or merlot and adding the sweet one gradually in when vigorous fermwntation is on progress. hope it can finish the sugar. of course, this time temporature will be strictly controlled.

Yes I believe that the cold temperatures were the culprit in my case. I’ll pitch some more yeast into a warm environment next weekend and hopefully it finishes those last few points.

Yes I believe that the cold temperatures were the culprit in my case. I’ll pitch some more yeast into a warm environment next weekend and hopefully it finishes those last few points.
It might finish. My experience is that yeast do better with gradual change (which is why I did the step feeding), versus trying to start in an environment with little or no nutrient and 10%+ alcohol.

It might finish. My experience is that yeast do better with gradual change (which is why I did the step feeding), versus trying to start in an environment with little or no nutrient and 10%+ alcohol.

It didn’t drop at all in one week. I don’t think there is enough if any yeast in the carboy since I racked to secondary.

I agree with your plan to warm it up and repitch - Norcal's advice on a starter is excellent, as well.

Repiching advice. I started with bm4x4. Then added ec1118. Should I go back to the original yeast 4x4 (which apparently works slow) or use the ec and get it going quickly?

Myself, I'm trying to get away from the 1118, others impart more character to the wine. Thought, pitch the first yeast, and if it doesn't take, then do the nuclear option?

Back