Avery Wine Labels - meant for wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes good ones are not cheap. I'm a Ricoh dealer and got a deal otherwise I would not have spent $900 on this model. But if you print a lot laser is the way to go. This one is about $.06/page color vs $.15-$.25/page on inkjet.

OK Dan. Get those labels on a bottle! Let's see what you've got! :)

Just a suggestion guys and gals, you can always go to Kinkos, Staples or Office Max and use their printers. Depending on the quantity that you need to print, may work out to be more economical. I was looking at the lasers at Staples a few weeks ago and lowest cost decent one is in the $400-500 range. You can put a lot of sheets of labels through their printer for that money, unless of course you want the laser for all of your printing, not just labels.

Rocky I agree with you on having them print them for you as an option. I thought lasers came down in price to the $200 -$300 range. I have not shopped around though in a long time.

For me to go to Staples for printing is not an option. I sit in front of my tv with me laptop and design sometimes at the last minute. Then I like to print them right out and have them ready to go. The convenience is everything to me.

Yes good ones are not cheap. I'm a Ricoh dealer and got a deal otherwise I would not have spent $900 on this model. But if you print a lot laser is the way to go. This one is about $.06/page color vs $.15-$.25/page on inkjet.

OK Dan. Get those labels on a bottle! Let's see what you've got! :)

Holy crap I guess they are expensive. Rob thats a great idea. When they arrive I'll just stick some on a few bottles. Next I'll try to take one off and a few days later see how hard they are to come off with a soaking in oxy clean compared to the 8164's.

There are cheap ones but you get what you pay for.
This one is a large monster meant for 50k pages a month or something like that. I sold one to a printing company.
Way overkill for my small business needs but it was $400 or so with my dealer discount. Plus I get to write it off on the taxes. I use the double sided printing all the time. Stupid computer stuff doesn't come with books anymore and I'm not a fan of reading PDF's on the computer.

So offer still stands if anyone wants me to print labels.

That would be great to hear your review of them.

Dan, I usually have the labels done long before the wine is finished. I do then during the "dwell time" when there is nothing else to do. Remember, though, I am retired, so I probably have a lot more free time than you do.

I have seen some inexpensive Laserjets in the $300 range. I was tempted but then I looked at the cost of the cartridges. If you think ink jet refills are expensive, take a look at the laser jet refills the next time your in one of the office supply stores.....

I have seen some inexpensive Laserjets in the $300 range. I was tempted but then I looked at the cost of the cartridges. If you think ink jet refills are expensive, take a look at the laser jet refills the next time your in one of the office supply stores.....

But when you consider the yield in a laser cartridge compared to an inkjet cartridge it is like 4-1 in my past experience. That taken into consideration, you can almost buy a new printer if you had to replace all 4 cartridges at the same time. I still think the advantage of having a laser printer for home use is worth the cost of the cartridges, I just haven't researched enough to pull the plug on one.

Staples and Office Max both talked me out of the laser for the HP Office Jet I got. Cost per page for printing was much less and the new ink for this printer is higher quality then regular ink jet. No one will argue the fact laser is the highewst quality you can get.

I use masking tape for my labels. No worrys about taking it off. Can't taste the label right?

But when you consider the yield in a laser cartridge compared to an inkjet cartridge it is like 4-1 in my past experience. That taken into consideration, you can almost buy a new printer if you had to replace all 4 cartridges at the same time. I still think the advantage of having a laser printer for home use is worth the cost of the cartridges, I just haven't researched enough to pull the plug on one.

That's true. If I replace all 4 it will be about $600. But it works out to be about .06/page color. Probably more for labels since they are mostly a full page of color vs a normal color document.
The new ink jets are supposed to be better but I haven't tried them out. Although I do have an HP OfficeJet sitting right next to me. Still on the trial carts it comes with as I only use it for a few copies and printing from the ipads and ipods.

Lets see some new label designs!

OK, here's the latest scoop. The labels are available in the store for about $2.00 more than on Amazon. I took the coupon that was posted on another thread for 50% off. As stated earlier it's only for white ink jet but when the cashier asked the mgr he just said "oh that's easy just do an over ride and give it to him". Cool beans? Not yet, there is also a $5.00 rebate on all Avery label's , to boot!!!!

Also new to Avery, I picked up some 22804 labels (laser/ink jet). They are 1.5 X 2.5 ovals (18 per sheet) glossy white. I thought they might be cool if I ever decide to use a second label on the bottles.

That's a nice Staples. They refused to honor it for me. Sounds like you got an awesome deal. Glad I could help.

Thank you, Rob

I will post any experiments I try when I get a chance Working 13 hour days right now plus I brought home 12 gallon of juice I have to get going tomorrow.

I use oxy clean to remove labels. It works really good. They slide off after soaking 12 hrs

New Avery Wine Labels Trail

OK Folks here's the results of the following labels:
22809 Arched 3"X2 1/4" Laser label
22804 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" oval Glossy white Laser/inkjet label

I printed on both of them using an office pro inkjet printer. The results were excellent pictures and printing with no problems. I did three bottles.

I was able to re-lift both labels and readjust immediately after placing them on. I filled each bottle with cold water and placed them in a bucket of cold water. Within 10 minutes the labels were lifting off on there own. The idea of permanent adhesive or hard to remove is false.

The color did not run in the least bit on any of the labels. Good news!

The software is new and not the old Avery software and takes some getting use to. Minor inconvienance.

The labels are smaller and would be excellent on split bottles or ice wine bottles. The oval label would also be an excellent label for those wanting to place a second label on the back side of thier bottle.

The labels have a place in this hobby but I don't think in everyday bottling most of us do. Special projects and smaller bottles they would be great.

DSCN2537.jpg
DSCN2535.jpg

Very cool!!

So is that the only size they have available? They do seem to be pretty small.

That's great! They look good on there. A little small but less to print, design and remove.
I will have to get a pack!

Thanks for testing.

Back