Average fermenting times?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zember311

Reaction score
Just since I have only completed test batches ( before hydrometers and your help ) I have never seen a completed batch that starts out at 1.095 and goes down to 1.000.

I was wondering about how long this should take.

To help you out, I am using 1 gallon containers, I just moved up to a 3 gallon as well.

I start them at 1.095 room temp 70 to 74 on average and 1 gram of lalvin 71b 1122 yeast, Right now the two 1 gallon jugs were started on the 13th of this month, 1 reads 1.010 so I did a first racking on it, the other reads 1.030 and I still have not racked that on ( figured I would wait till it hits 1.010 as well. )

So on average is a 7 to 15 day of primary normal for these conditions ?

I am not concerned thinking they aren't working, they are constant in the co2 department, just would like some reference to go along side them.

Thanks,

Kyle

That is certainly within the normal range. The length and speed of fermentation is dependant on available nutrients, yeast used and temperatures(as well as a host of other minor variables). Nothing to be worried about.

I only use 1 gallon jugs and on the average the times I experience are:
1) Start activitymake a yeast starter which has aged 1 day.
2) Mix up Welch's concentrated grape juice with water which has the sugar already dissolved in it.
3) Put on cap and shake the jug up and down about 10 times.
4) Add yeast, put on cap and shake the jug up and down about 10 times.
5) Put a coffee filter secured with a rubber band on top of the bottle.
6) Wait usually about 3 to 4 days until foam blanket is mostly gone,
7) Chaptalize with 1 more cup of sugar (mixed into about 1 quart of must poured from the bottle and then poured back in)
8) Wait and watch for about 3 to 5 days until the protective CO2 blanket is about gone and no more fizzing can be heard.
9) Then rack and airlock.
10) Then about 5 to 7 days later, when the must in unable to produce a bubble anymore for the airlock, if the foam is down to about 1/8" along the edges, I consider it done, add a campden table and potassium tablet, stir, and let it sit a day with a cap on the bottle, but not secured down totally tight.
11) Finally I just pour all this into my 1/2 gallon jugs secured with the 38mm plastic cap and its ready to drink.
Anyway, that's what I do. I'm making 23% alcohol wine this way and don't concern myself with filtering or degassing.

Latest posts

Back