ATTENTION JohnT....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I donno.... The Muslims destroyed all of the Israel's indigenous grape species in the 7th century to keep them from making wine. For all we know they could have all been variations of the concord.

concord is of the species Vitis labrusca, native to america. I doubt that they can be found in Israel either in the past or even today.

It saddens us the religious route our daughter has taken. Because she is a grown woman with her own family (step kids), we accept it for our only grand child (the only one we will ever have). BUT it does not mean we like it. It is not your "run of the mill" religion either. Enough said!

Unfortunately, one person's religion is often another person's "cult", but I'm not trying to read too much into what you are saying Sammy.
I'm still looking for "The Church of Latter Day Winemakers" but to no avail.
Sigh! I guess this forum is as close as I will find to it. ;)

John funny you bring that up. We have a seasonal worker (part time) that is a Lutheran Pastor. He enters the LA Cellar masters competition and does quite well. He actually has one day that he lets anyone from the congregation come to his house and help make the wine. They take turns cranking the press and other duties. Neat idea but I would not have the patience. Once I get started I want to get the job done without all the glamour or drama.

JohnT said:
concord is of the species Vitis labrusca, native to america. I doubt that they can be found in Israel either in the past or even today.

AH AH! Not so fast!!!

image-3012413803.jpg

As you can see by this chart, Welches wine took over the world in pre biblical times. It may do so again! Be prepared!

Dessertmaker,

So, if the book of mormon is to be believed, are you saying that the reason concord wines do not exist in europe is a matter of choice and and not availability?

Gotta like them Europeans, They let their tastebuds decide!

Dessertmaker,

So, if the book of mormon is to be believed, are you saying that the reason concord wines do not exist in europe is a matter of choice and and not availability?

Gotta like them Europeans, They let their tastebuds decide!

2-day-old message from a recent recipient of Welch's Concord the Super-Sugar Way:

"We opened the concord wine last night and really!!!!! enjoyed it. It had so much flavor!"

:D

My tastebuds like concord, but they REALLY like muscadine, scuppernong or Norton (Cynthiana) wine. And these are native grapes. Buy American!

:)

I am happy to send you a bottle, John...

JS,

Since all modern grapes use American Rootstock (to combat phylloxera), wouldn't all winegrapes be considered American?

JS,

Since all modern grapes use American Rootstock (to combat phylloxera), wouldn't all winegrapes be considered American?

Not according to nomenclature. Native to the Mediterranean region, central Europe, and southwestern Asia, from Morocco and Portugal north to southern Germany and east to northern Iran.

If you graft one rootstock of apple onto another, the fruit is still the original wood stock's apples.

Guys I'm unclear about something , by my way of thinking Welchs is about the same as making a wine kit only a little cheeper, you just add your own chems. I really think there isn't much difference. I would like to offer this up for you guys, next time you do a comp on here make it a base wine of welchs, instead of a kit.

winointraining said:
Guys I'm unclear about something , by my way of thinking Welchs is about the same as making a wine kit only a little cheeper, you just add your own chems. I really think there isn't much difference. I would like to offer this up for you guys, next time you do a comp on here make it a base wine of welchs, instead of a kit.

Oh dear sweet baby Jesus. Somebody please pick John up off the floor and get the smelling salts.

Oh dear sweet baby Jesus. Somebody please pick John up off the floor and get the smelling salts.

This is what we do after John is nominated as Head Judge for said-contest :)

Winointraining, the difference in Welches vs low-end kits, is in how they handle the juice... The processes that the juice goes through before its in our hands... Kits, overall, are handled more gently than supermarket juices - I mean this in terms of the heating and filtering of the juice that happens during production.. I'm just barely skimming the surface here... Supermarket juices are handled in a much rougher fashion..

HMMMMMMM.... UGGGGGHHHHH... Huh??

What did I miss?

Winointraining, You assume that I like the taste of concord grapes. Sadly, this is not the case.

I am also sure that there are folks here that spend wads of cash on high end kits that will disagree with you also.

All of that, however, is unimportant. If you like it, that is all that should matter to you.

John T , I couldn't agree more, you have to drink what you like! I like concord because I remember it from my youth. To be honest after having tasted chambourcin I now have a new favorite. Thanks to you and the others on here for expanding my horizons.

My two cents

:hTo each his or hers own, but for me (thinking out the box) WELCHES,isn't a wine ingredient, I know, I know ,that to some it is and I don't understand why you would want to when you can do the real thing in so many ways, and learn something at the same time about real wine making at it's best or worst depending on how you end up.:u

:tsWELCHES, is what it is a fruit juice and nothing more, I agree with JohnT,why would you want to waste your time on such a venture you might as well put Welches and everkleer together and call it a day.:u

Latest posts

Back