Other Artful winemaker fermintation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
OK after 8 days Sg has stabilized at 0.991 for 2 days. So I added the cone, stabilizer, clearing agent and sweetener packs.
With this system the cone takes the place of racking after primary fermintation. It says to wait to 14 days to do all of this but I jumped the gun and I guess I just eliminated secondary fermintation.
If so what will this do to the wine?

DaveL...

Congratulations!! To the best of my knowledge, you are the first person on this forum to be making an Artful Winemaker kit.

For those that want to see what DaveL is talking about, here is the web-site
http://www.artfulwinemaker.com/
and the instructions.
http://www.artfulwinemaker.com/downloads/AW%20Instructions7.pdf

There is no secondary fermentation in this kit's instructions. Day 1 is the start of primary, and Day 14 is stabilizing and clearing. You have done the stabilizing and clearing on Day 8.

I have never made one of these kits, but by doing the stabilizing early you may not have allowed all the sediment to settle. Which means that there may be more sediment from the clearing agent than expected. So monitor that.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else that you may have done to the wine.

Steve

Steve
My wife gave me the kit last year for christmas. I made 1 pino kit that turned out ok. I never drank pino grigio before so I had nothing to compare it to.
This year for christmas she gave me a Riesling kit. that is what I am making now.
I also got a floor bottler for christmas and while looking into more items I found out that the 7 gallon bucket kits are a better bang for the buck. So I have a sauvignon blanc going in that.
I doubt I will do another aw kit but I will use the machinery for small batches of wine and bottleing perhaps.
Thanks for the advice. So perhaps I would want to rack it an extra time before bottling?

Steve
My wife gave me the kit last year for christmas. I made 1 pino kit that turned out ok. I never drank pino grigio before so I had nothing to compare it to.
This year for christmas she gave me a Riesling kit. that is what I am making now.
I also got a floor bottler for christmas and while looking into more items I found out that the 7 gallon bucket kits are a better bang for the buck. So I have a sauvignon blanc going in that.
I doubt I will do another aw kit but I will use the machinery for small batches of wine and bottleing perhaps.
Thanks for the advice. So perhaps I would want to rack it an extra time before bottling?
DaveL:

Sounds like the AW is getting you going a great hobby. I've thought of buying an AW for making varieties that we don't tend to make in the larger sizes. Also, we aren't drinking much these days, so the smaller volumes might be good for us.

Since you're making a white, you can look at the wine and decide what to do.

Steve

OK after 8 days Sg has stabilized at 0.991 for 2 days. So I added the cone, stabilizer, clearing agent and sweetener packs.
With this system the cone takes the place of racking after primary fermintation. It says to wait to 14 days to do all of this but I jumped the gun and I guess I just eliminated secondary fermintation.
If so what will this do to the wine?

Dont worry. I just watched 3 Youtube vids on the process. It is kinda an ingenious system.

I think they want you to wait the 14 days for the most amount of gross lee to drop out. Then trap it with a cone and add fining agent to get the last of the lee that is suspended. Then trap what falls out with the another cone.

Not sitting on the gross lee the extra few days might influence the taste a bit, but so what. I am sure you will have something drinkable. Just go with it.

RR

Thanks again. It is an easy introduction to winemaking and I'm sure I will continue to find a use for it. But I do drink it quickly and also want to share with family who also have a wine fetish if you will. The first batch was gone way too quickly.

Back