Arsenic Scare in Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffZ

Junior
Reaction score
All over the media today, they're announcing research that shows very high levels of arsenic in cheaper wines - like those sold at Trader Joe's. As we know, arsenic is poisonous and potentially deadly in high levels.

Common sense says is it probably won't hurt anyone who drinks just a glass or two a day. But still - I'd like to know the truth. Has anyone done any research into our favorite kit manufacturers like WE, RJ and CC.

Is it worth communicating with them our concern and need to confirm arsenic levels. Truthfully, I'm a little concerned.

yes, but. . . .

I get it - the very cheap commercial wines might have higher levels or arsenic.
But what about the kits? How regulated are they?

Or do we put our heads in the sand and don't worry about it? Or only buy the highest end kits like primeur or eclipse?

I'm not an alarmist and really enjoy my new hobby. But maybe it's not so smart to have a glass, say screw it - and ignore a potential health problem.

another forum comments that at 50 parts per billion a person would have to consume 30 liters of wine a day for 20 years before he could die.
Cigarette any one?

I have a question -
are eggs good for you this week ?

but more of a serious note - we have alot of contaminated water coming from our farmlands and garbage sites and what about all the toxic waste being polluted into our lakes and seas everyday .

having your wine or water to be tested is always a good thing - call your board of health and ask where to take a sample to be tested.

it is better for you to get the actual results , rather on depending on others for the results

Allowable limits in Canada are 100 ppb and in Europe, 200 ppb. So, the worst California offender was 1/4 to 1/2 the amounts allowed elsewhere. I think the CA 10 ppb numbers are for drinking water and are extremely low.

To put things in a perspective, we here in the heart of the Marcellus Shale Fracking Region are too busy monitoring our water supplies,, breathing Radon,, fighting off Lyme Ticks,, Air pollution,, idiot drivers,, disastrous weather patterns,, and a myriad of other hazards destined to hasten our demise to be concerned about a little Arsenic-in our-wine which by the way we all ingest to some degree on a rather consistent basis. It's not like producers are adding it for Pete's sake! Drink up!!!!! It's all Media Fodder designed to harpoon the Springtime Wine Festivals around the country... (Spirit of Carrie Nation :w)

Last edited:
Read some of these reports, News agencies vilify the most innocuous fact or tid bit to sell papers, or air time, or increase viewers. Scientist determine that this, that, or the other thing has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory rats. When in reality it is scientist who cause cancer in laboratory rats. They expose, inject, or force feed these rats more of a compound than they could possibly partake in in two lifetimes. Then declare causation linked back to whatever they used. All this research is sponsored by the manufactures of competing products to discredit, defame, or focus bad light on their competition. As reasoning adults we need to do a bit of homework on our own and determine the factual basis for any information regurgitated by the press. We need to stop being a nation of chicken little's led to slaughter by the corporate giants who would dupe us out of our hard earned money.

Fish has mercury in it, and has since I was a kid. I haven't stopped eating halibut yet. I'm 61.

Back