Argon gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I went to a wielding shop and bought a bottle of Argon. The guy never hear of that. He says all wine makers use Nitrogen. Is that true? I guess that is for some type of keg system. I went against his advise and bought Argon. I topped off all my carboys. My oak barrel will come in next week a lot more question soon.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

You can use Nitrogen but Argon is heavier than Nitrogen and thus will blanket the wine better and stay put better than Nitrogen.
You bought the "good" stuff!
smiley20.gif

Good. The UPS driver pulled up so I ran outside to get my Oak barrell. False alarm. Christmas present.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

You need a cylinder of Argon, a flow meter or a two stage regulator attached so you can slowly flow the gas into the carboy for 10-30 seconds depending on the volume you are trying to fill. And of course a piece of tygon or similar tubing attached to the end of the regulator or flow meter so you can insert the tubing into the carboy way down low to start, then slowly pull out and either stopper it or add an airlock.
This is only a stopgap (short term solution) you need to re top off every 7-10 days or top it off with similar wine.
eBay is a good source for inexpensive flow meters or regulators. Try a local welding supply shop for Argon cylinders (rent or purchase outright).

ibglowin said:
And of course a piece of tygon or similar tubing attached to the end of the regulator or flow meter so you can insert the tubing into the carboy way down low to start, then slowly pull out and either stopper it or add an airlock.
Mike when you say way down low are you talking into the wine?

Just above the level of the wine, then slowly pull up and out of the carboy and stopper/ or airlock.

Latest posts

Back