bottles vs BAGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vizsla_red

Junior
Reaction score
new guy here,
first kits arriving soon, very excited.

what do y'all think about using a wine-on-tap for bottling and aging wines?

bag wines are far smarter for me, and better for my liver,
in terms of the amount I drink (4/5 bottle) vs my wife (1/5 bottle).
being able to pour just 1-2 glasses, )and not having to worry about the rest going bad, if not consumed promptly), is a huge advantage.

I do have a Coravin model one, and its cool, (argon gas and all), but still not as user-friendly as bag would be.

northern brewer has a bag system available called invinity.
there are probably others as well.

in my noobie-ness, I would think inert glass would let wine age just as well as inert mylar (or whatever the bags are made of)

THOUGHTS????
thx,
vizsla

Bags seem to alter the wine differently than glass. Including potential increased risk of loss wine quality and oxidation even over a short time period. So such bags are not really wine aging containers. They can be a good option for wine that should be consumed soon, such as a light Pinot gris, but not for aging a Cabernet Sauvignon.

Another wine bag option is AstraPouch.

Last edited:
new guy here,
first kits arriving soon, very excited.

what do y'all think about using a wine-on-tap for bottling and aging wines?

bag wines are far smarter for me, and better for my liver,
in terms of the amount I drink (4/5 bottle) vs my wife (1/5 bottle).
being able to pour just 1-2 glasses, )and not having to worry about the rest going bad, if not consumed promptly), is a huge advantage.

I do have a Coravin model one, and its cool, (argon gas and all), but still not as user-friendly as bag would be.

northern brewer has a bag system available called invinity.
there are probably others as well.

in my noobie-ness, I would think inert glass would let wine age just as well as inert mylar (or whatever the bags are made of)

THOUGHTS????
thx,
vizsla

I've been doing that for years, but only for my everyday table wine. It works out very nicely for that, but I would only do it for inexpensive kits. I bottle my better stuff, and label it. Here's a link to a post where I detail the process: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/tweeking-cheap-kits.51904/page-77#post-710840

Wayne

Latest posts

Back