WineXpert Are you thinking of a Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
I emailed WE today regarding the Oregon Pinot kit and the New Zealand kit. WE emailed me back and told me if I was thinking of the Oregon kit, I should get it quick since it will no longer be available. George, not sure if you knew that or not. Linda (WE) said the ingredients are getting harder to get with the popularity of Pinot Noirs (must be still effects of that crazy movie called Sideways!) Hee! Hee!

Just trying to do my part in keeping you all informed!

Order up!!

Francie

As usual, the U.S. retailers are the last to know anything from WE. I will follow up with them on Tuesday. This is definitely not good news. Thanks for the heads up.

I have 30 bottles of Yamhill Pinot Noir that I made and bottle last winter. When I bottled, I told myself I wasn't going to touch it for 6 months. I boxed up the bottles, taped up the boxes, and dated them. Six months was up sometime during the summer. That date came and went and I still haven't opened the boxes. I think it will be a year in February. I've been thinking of trying a bottle as I'm down to about 6 bottles of the California Pinot Noir that won the medal for me at the fair. I already have one of this batch earmarked for the fair this August. I will get brave here soon! I just hope it's been worth the wait!

wade said:
Good willpower Joan! Im impressed.

I buy it at the hardware store. It's just past the plumbing supplies.
smiley4.gif

Joan said:
wade said:
Good willpower Joan! Im impressed.

I buy it at the hardware store. It's just past the plumbing supplies.
smiley4.gif

just be careful because the procrastination looks the same and you can grab it by mistake sometimes.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: sangwitch

Way to go Joan...a year without even peeking at it...

I have good intentions about trying to age some wine...I thought about putting a case of each batch away too...guess this is a good time to try that.

How about a 'Support Group' so we can all do this together...some of you are so strong..help us weak ones...
smiley17.gif

I recently bottled one of the pinots... not sure which one it was, I'll have to check my log, but it's fantastic. I've been on a pinot kick for quite some time. (Before the movie
smiley17.gif
). I love that part where the girl asks Miles why he likes Pinots so much...

Uh, I don't know, I don't know. Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know. Right? It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and uh, thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention. You know? And in fact it can only grow in these really specific, little, tucked away corners of the world. And, and only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet.

But the way Paul Giamatti delivers the dialog... I thought it was brilliant.

Wait... I thought it was the girl who described it! I remember thinking it was (this is going to sound odd but...) one of the most sensous things I've ever heard in a movie!

sangwitch said:
just be careful because the procrastination looks the same and you can grab it by mistake sometimes.
smiley36.gif

So is not drinking my Pinot a form of procrastination, sang?

NW...I actually have NO will power! I just don't drink much wine. Pretty sad, eh?
smiley36.gif

I am so impressed, I just bottled my first batch this week and am having a hard time not opening "Just One Bottle" to try!! Hee! Hee!

Francie

Francie, I figure that if I do all the work of bottling, it's gonna stay put for a while!!
smiley4.gif

I checked the date on my Pinot Noir boxes this morning. I bottled 3-10-06. I'm thinking I need to try one soon because if it's really good, I need to order more before the kits are gone! Thanks for the head's up, Francie!

Joan said:
sangwitch said:
smiley36.gif

So is not drinking my Pinot a form of procrastination, sang?

well... it was kind of an inside joke from our earlier conversation, but since you put it that way... it makes sense! Stop procrastinating and drink already!
smiley17.gif
Do I need to make a trip upstate and help you open some bottles??

The girl from the movie (Maya) says this about wine...

I like to think about the life of a wine. How it's a living thing. I like to think about what was going on the year the grapes were growing; how the sun was shining; if it rained. I like to think about all the people who tended and picked the grapes. And if it's an old wine, how many of them must be dead by now. I like how wine continues to evolve, like if I opened a bottle of wine today it would taste different than if I'd opened it on any other day, because a bottle of wine is actually alive. And it's constantly evolving and gaining complexity. That is, until it peaks, like your '61. And then it begins its steady, inevitable decline.Edited by: sangwitch

Yeah!!! That's it!!! I loved that part! It really moved me and I saw the movie long before I even had an inkling of making my own wine! I thought it was amazing!

Yes, I will share! =)

I liked the movie so much I bought it!! Guess hubby and I will have to watch again, Joan, could send a bottle via express to Ohio so we can enjoy while watching? Hee Hee!

Seriously, let me know what you think of that wine since I may put in an order from George!!
smiley2.gif

Francie

Assuming I made it right, it should be good! I will be sure to let you knowhow it is!

Latest posts

Back