Apricot Wine Haze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Hello all - thought I would see what opinions/suggestions I might get regarding a haze in an apricot wine I'm working on - this was the second fruit wine I've ever made

I started the fermentation on 5/18/08 so it has been coming up on three months that it has not cleared - I followed the recipe in the "Winemaker's recipe handbook" - in retrospect, I think I mashed the fruit too much. I really gave it a work over with a potatoe masherand then squeezed the life out of it when I took the fruit bag out of the primary fermenter - I thought it would give it extra flavor!

I have racked it on 5/23, 5/27, 7/4, and 8/3 and it has never cleared. At the 8/3 racking I added two teaspoons of pectic enzyme in case it was pectin haze. Now I'm wondering if it is starch haze that I've read about? I saw in one of the resources that amylase is the solution in that case although it seems George does not seem to sell that.

My house is set at 78 degrees - this Texas heat is killing my electricity bill! - so maybe it is too warm.

When I last racked it, it didn't taste half bad so I think it may have potential.

I'm wondering if I should try to find some amylase to add or if I should try to cool it (not quite sure how I would do that - I'd have to take over the refrigerator!) or if I should just give the pectic enzyme more time????

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm going toadd a couple of pictures. In the group photo, the apricot is on the far right - that is watermelon wine to it's left as a comparison of a wine that did clear. (strawberry in the back)
20080807_194625_IMG_1424_WinCE.JPG
20080807_194224_IMG_1425_WinCE_.JPG

Wayne,
I have made apricot and pineapple wines that have had the pectic haze that you are experiencing. I used Super Kleer that George sells and after about 24-48 hours you will have a clear wine. That stuff is amazing. Check it out.........and A Big Welcome to You!! Ramona

It could be a starch haze but let me ask you first. After each racking do you have a lot of sediment fallout? Does the lees layer look about the same thickness each time? You may have a ton of solids in the wine particularly if you squeezed the heck out of the fruit bag when you removed it from the fermenter. If you have lots of fallout I would either give it more time or try some Super Kleer. If not, you may want to consider other options such as how you are leaning.

It looks like I am seeing a lot of lees also in the bottom of the carboy. I would rack it again and use SuperKleer on it. That should take care of it. The slowest clearing wine I have made to date I gave a year and it hadn't cleared. I added SuperKleer and it took 3 days but did clear. Give it a try.

Wayne you didn't happen to mention if you have degassedyour wine. If you haven't, try that itmay help clear yourwine also. Edited by: swillologist

Some wines can be notoriously difficult to clear. I now use SuperKleer on all my wines since I have found it to be the most effective.

I agree with degassing good and using the SuperKleer K.C. Its nice when you dont have to add a fining agent but there are batches that just wont clear without it and rarely a batch that wont even clear with fining agents.

Hello everyone and thanks for all the suggestions! I have not degassed nor used SuperKleer so may do that. I thought it had stopped dropping lees but just checked and it is a little hard to see behind the haze but I think it has dropped more lees after all Smurfe. It looks different than the dead yeast and I think it is fruit "stuff." I think I will give it a little more time and, if no progress, will degas and use SuperKleer next time I rack. I'll give an update - now I know why the recipe said "press gently and don't squeeze"!!!

Thanks to all you guys - this is a great forum!

Wayne

A wine will not properly clear until it is degassed well or the gas will hold the sediment in suspension.

Latest posts

Back