Apricot Brandy for Topping Apricot Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
This is going to seem like a really dumb question, but I gotta try, maybe someone has relevant experience.

I have an apricot wine in secondary (made from two 96 oz Vintner's Harvest cans, for a 5 gal batch). Seems one of my biggest challenges so far (with these mostly fruit wines - 10 batches under way now) is figuring out how to eliminate head space when racking. I keep coming up a little short, even with trying to increase the volume in my primary (will try even more next time).

So this apricot will be ready to rack and degas soon (is slowly clearing in secondary), and I will again confront the "topping up" problem. So... on a wild hair, I bought a bottle of "apricot brandy" from my local wine store (owner looked at me like I was nuts, he knows my tastes). Got it home and opened it and tried a wee bit.

That may actually be the most horrendous liquid I've ever put in my mouth.

So, my question is, do you have any idea how this will work in an apricot wine for using maybe a cup or two to top up a 5 gal batch? I realize the taste of just about anything will dissipate and mix into the larger liquid, and the taste of the wine so far is quite good. Any other suggestions for topping up this wine?

TIA,

JAG

I did not top off with brandy but I mixed brandy (25%) and peach wine (75%) and so far it is pretty bad. Kinda a cross between weak wine and weak brandy.

Maybe try topping up with a peach or apricot juice concentrate? Or even white grape juice concentrate (Welches?)

Thanks for the replies. I haven't found concentrated peach or apricot juice around here (other than at the LHBS in the Vintner's Harvest cans...kinda pricey for topping up). I like the idea of the white grape juice and will try that, thanks!

Anyone got any suggestions of what to do with a bottle of apricot brandy? I was thinking maybe I'd use it to cure one of my mini oak barrels... but what to put in after curing? Cognac? I sure as hell ain't drinking this crap.

I will typically top off with a similar wine or do what Ray does and use concentrates.
In some cases I will do a 2nd pressing - so I have wine to top off for the first pressing or others similar wines.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't found concentrated peach or apricot juice around here (other than at the LHBS in the Vintner's Harvest cans...kinda pricey for topping up). I like the idea of the white grape juice and will try that, thanks!

You don't have frozen juice at your local grocery store?

I top off my Blackberry wine with Blackberry Brandy all the time. The results are great. Also top off my Sangria with Brandy. Have topped off my Peach Wine with Peach Brandy. Oh & Apple Wine with Apple Brandy. The answer is YES! Roy

Not peach or apricot juice. Is that common in other parts of the world?

You can get a peach blend from almost anywhere, and there is apricot nectar.
Er, where abouts are you?

Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure it's going to be great!

I live in Pennsylvania, and a lot of the stores have stopped carrying the blends. They just don't sell enough in my area. Although, they stock the frozen margarita and daiquiri mixes -.-

Thanks. I'm in the suburbs north of NYC. Funny, you would think I would have everything at my fingertips. But this world -- at least when it comes to brick and mortar places -- is becoming increasingly narrow and homogenized. It's hard to find anything anymore.

How interesting! Here we still have all of the Mom & Pop grocery stores every few blocks, plus the usual large chains. Nice thung about living in the older part of the city :)

Latest posts

Back