Appli pie adjustment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
My Apple Pie wine is scheduled to be bottled in 4 weeks. I want a bottle or two this season. It will be 8 months old.
It seems light on apple flavor but hot on Alc and strong clove/ pie spice. flavor.
Thinking of adding a container of concentrate. Or maybe a Quart of Juice.

Or

Making a rushed 5 gallon batch from juice concentrate and trying to get them combined by Thanksgiving.

My Apple Pie wine is scheduled to be bottled in 4 weeks. I want a bottle or two this season. It will be 8 months old.
It seems light on apple flavor but hot on Alc and strong clove/ pie spice. flavor.
Thinking of adding a container of concentrate. Or maybe a Quart of Juice.

Or

Making a rushed 5 gallon batch from juice concentrate and trying to get them combined by Thanksgiving.

Dave I try to warn everyone about the clove, One or two cloves per carboy is plenty. It may calm down over time.

Just an idea...what if you bought some fresh apple cider. Dump an entire bottle in to a flask or other container. Add a measured amount of cider to it and see how it tastes. If you get a blend you like, do the math and dump your bottles back into a carboy and add the required cider. Keep in mind you'll need to add the required amount of meta and sorbate for the addition. You can even add additional sugar if need be. Try 2-4 different combinations and keep each glass separate and labeled. Pick your favorite. Cover all four glasses to hold in aroma and keep fruit flies away. Walk away for 15 minutes and go do something. Now come back and retest to affirm your first decision or to make a clearer decision. Good Luck! I hope this made sense as I ramble on.

Agree with Running Wolfe but try smaller samples , use about 100ml of your apple wine and then add a small measured amount of apple juice increasing it for each sample till desired flavor, then once new blend determined make more samples and add sugar syrup to desired sweetness. I usually take final blend and mix a half bottle and taste next day to see if blend will work and does not toss new sediment.

Thanks
I guess I'm lucky I have the high alc % I can add juice/cider without thinning it out too much.
I like the idea of tasting twice before mixing. I also read on another thread to do tasting at the same temp you intend to drink it.

Well I did a bench test mmmm. Added about 3/4 gallon of juice. Perfect.
Bottled 35 bottles. May undergo some further refinement.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Latest posts

Back