Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
Started 10/9/12 SG is .998, clear as a bell, in a glass carboy. Tastes of strong alcohol and a little apple. Will bulk aging round this out? Should I back sweeten and with what to get more apple taste?

The strong alcohol taste will generally soften with aging as long as the starting SG was 1.100 or less. My experience with apple juice wine, the apple flavor comes back with aging but it is light. If you are going for an off dry or a sweet wine I would stabilize and back sweeten with concentrate to boost the flavor.

The thing with fruit wines. The flavor comes out better with a lower abv. I like to keep my fruits at 10.5 - 11% Starting SG 1.085.

I like my wine on the strong abv side so f pack all fruit flavors with apple i mix and match f packs rasberry / cranberry/ strawberry etc some rurn out great others not so much

You mite try drawing a glass and get out the sugar bowl. Add a little sugar, stir it in, if not enough, add some more. Remember you can put it in, but kinda tough to take it out. While testing, you can add some more wine if you get it too sweet. When sweetening the whole batch, kinda hard to add any more if you don't have it, so add slowly. Arne.

All do respect to Arne, but my experience (especially with Apple wine, or HArd Ciders) its always better to back-sweeten with either 100% Apple Juice concentrate, juice or cider...it will make it taste great with a strong Apple flavor

All do respect to Arne, but my experience (especially with Apple wine, or HArd Ciders) its always better to back-sweeten with either 100% Apple Juice concentrate, juice or cider...it will make it taste great with a strong Apple flavor

Sounds good Steve. Guess the apple wine I have made has been with fresh ciders. THey have had enough flavor I have not had to add to it. Another side of the same coin. LOL, Arne.

Back