Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked with a hydrometer to see if it has moved. I know when
I first started that the lids(2) that have grommets to put the airlocks
in them leaked so bad that my airlock didnt move either I poured water
around them and discovered that both leaked so bad that they wouldnt
even build pressure. I redrilled my lids and put 1" rubber bungs in
them and WALA, I had bubbling. Check SG and see if it is the same and
we'll start from there tommorow.

Actually the more I thought about it it is over sulfited in my opinion.
K-meta is applied at 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons and you probabvly put in
3/8 per 3 gallons. Your going to have to stir the #$%^ out of it to
release the extra gas and then pitch another Yeast. That recipe calls
for too much k-meta!

JohnnyK68 said:
It called for 1/8 tsp per gallon. I was making 3 gallons I have a .5 tsp measuring spoon so I put an almost half spoonfull.

That is probably your problem- to much sulfites. 3/8 or more teaspoon in only 3 gallons gives THREE times the recommended amount of 50 ppm. It would make the concentration over 150 ppm- way too high to get the yeast started in. You might get lucky and get the batch going or you could start another three gallons and double the batch. That would probably get the concentration down to a startable level. You could also dump that batch if it doesn't start in a few more days and then start another one. Some of this depends on your available supplies of carboys etc. Good luck.

If you added almost half of 1/2 tsp or 1/4 tsp that would yield roughly 75 ppm of SO2 which is high but not off the charts. Stirring the heck out of it will help some to reduce the level and leave the cover off for say 24 hours so the sulphur dioxide gas can escape.

Since you pitched yeast twice with no luck I would try making a starter as it might be the cure to get this going.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Stuck.htm

I think Im goiing to give up on this one. I dont have anymore yeast and wont be able to get any until Wed now. By that time the juice will probably expire. Think Im going to start over. I do have Campden tabs now. I might just do Eds Apfelwine instead, and use this Primary for a plum wine I am waiting to make. Chalk this one up to a good learning expierience. The best way to learn I guess is to F up once in a while.

So true. We've all been thgere Johnny. When I started I did the same
thing and lost a 6gallon batch of Marionberry and a 3 gallon batch of
Welche's concentrate. Same thing, no Campdensubstituted , and never
took yeast so I feel the pain!

Only makes me sharper for the next time. And there will be a next time. This hobby of homebrewing and wine making is an addiction to say the least. I even had fun when I screwed up
smiley1.gif
I'm going to bottle my Nut Brown Ale today, and sit back and watch football.

I do think Im goign to put a batch of a Apfelwine as soon as I get my yeasts on Wed. That and the plum I have been wanting todo from a Vinters can of juice.

A friend of mine made the plum a while back. I have to ask him what yeast he used because it fermeneted out a bit on the sweet side not overpowering sweet, but just right. I would like to copy his results.

Latest posts

Back