apple juice?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippymiss

Reaction score
Been making wine from the winexpert kits....Now I want to make wine using apple juice....But have a question on what kind of apple juice to buy frome the store...Like what should I look for in apple juice.. should if be a consntrate? If so at what ratio to water? Should it be just regular apple jucie with no preseratives? Recipe I have calls for 5 gallons of apple jucie, I shop at wal-mart.....any info would greatly help....thanks Edited by: Ippymiss

Welcoome to the Forum...hope we can help you out...

I have made apple wine using our own apple juice....I have only made it into Sparkling Wine.... we think it's great.

Also I have made some Hard Apple Cider using store juices... I use the gallons that have just Ascorbic Acid as a preservative, or if it says just Apple Juice or Apple Juice from Concentrate....With the apple cider I also add some frozen concentrate to boost the flavor....It makes a nice Hard Cider, we prime it like beer for carbonation and bottle in beer bottles.

If I was making apple wine from store bought juices I would also add some frozen concentrate to the gallons of juice....you won't need as much sugar...I used 6 gallons of apple juice and 9 cans of frozen concentrate in the last batch of cider...that brought the S.G. to 1066...You would have to add some sugar if you wanted some regular wine alcohol...

Check out the Hard Apple Cider link...

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=894&KW=apple+cider&PN=7

For wine recipes try Jack Keller's site...or just make/use your own recipe...keep track of what you use for future batches.

Good Luck and keep us Posted on your ventureEdited by: Northern Winos

Just make sure there is no metabisulfite or benzoate in the juice. There are some in the frozen concentrates though so go lightly on the addition of meta or campden tablets in the beginning!

thank you Northern Winosgoing to give it a shot and try it this weekend, I will let you know what happens and all the details and hopefully some pics too...wish me luck.. now it's time to go shopping...thank you again.

Welcome Ippymiss,
I like to use the organic apple juice in the gallon jugs. Not only do you get the juice but you also get some glass jugs to make gallon sized recipes.

Ippymiss said:
Been making wine from the winexpert kits....Now I want to make wine using apple juice....But have a question on what kind of apple juice to buy frome the store...Like what should I look for in apple juice.. should if be a consntrate? If so at what ratio to water? Should it be just regular apple jucie with no preseratives? Recipe I have calls for 5 gallons of apple jucie, I shop at wal-mart.....any info would greatly help....thanks

I just bought 4 bottles of peach & grape from wal-mart I think I
paid 2.47 ea. that will make 2 gallons. I have 2 gallon about 2 mo.
and it already taste good, so I thought I would start another batch
I think it has more flavor than apple

20070224_132402_100_0038.jpg
Thanks to all who have responded..... Using a 5 gal Carboy.......... First stage picture.
We used 5 gallons of apple juice in plastic bottles from Wal-mart and 3 cans of juice concentrated. Add all the additives . Put into a primary fermenter . Our first readings are S.G. 1.094......... Alc ..12.5%

Ingredients :
5 gal of apple juice Plus 3 cans of frozen concentrate
5 pounds of sugar
5 campden tablets crushed
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
2 1/2 tabl acid blend
1 tsp wine tannin

Cover will towel for 24 hours

Will add tomorrow : 2 tbls Yeast nutrient
1 packet of Yeast EC-1118

some recipes say cover with a towel for 5-7 days after the yeast has been added. MY question is can I use the plastic cover lid that came with my primary fermentor and the air lock?? OR use the towel??? Thanks

Edited by: Ippymiss

You certainly can use either method. Whatever works better for you. People swear by either method. Be aware, it is a little difficult to get the lid off when you snap it on all the way. Apple does foam quite a bit, so if you put the airlock on, it may fill with must as it ferments. I usually put a cloth over it and lay the lid on top of that for the time it is isn the primary.

Maybe this is a stupid question... But the must is in a 6 gal fermenter...... sorry I didnt post that ... But if I did put the towel on and then the lid to protect, wouldnt the lint if there is any on the towel get into the must ?

I want to keep this as protective as possible... Thanks! Edited by: Ippymiss

Ippy, If you have a tight lid, there is no need for a towel. The towel is used to keep 'things' out of the wine. A lid typically works better, but can be harder to snap on and off.

Personally, on my fermenter, I always snap the lid on tight with a water lock on it. I sometimes get busy and have to let a wine go for a day or two longer than it should. The tight lid on my fermenter helps hold in gas and prevent anything negative happening to my wine (plus keep 'things' out of it).

Either way will work, but you should be a lot more diligent on the first racking if you use a towel.

I snap down to, especially since there is no need to stir since there is no actual fruit. No real reason to look in and possibly contaminate the batch.

Back