APPLE/JALAPENO WINE....started/recipe..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mexican Way:

I work with Hispanic girls who make salsa fresh everyday. They put the tomatoes and the jalapenos in simmering water. Until the skins are loosend on the tomatoes. They put the tomatoes and peppers in a blender with a little of the water they were boiled in and blend until as smooth as you want...add some minced onions and garlic if you want.Celantro too. One girl makes this every morning .....fresh.....with plum tomatoes that she always has ripeining on her counter.

I tried it myself....it is very good, very hot.....very simple!!!! Very Potent, Open the windows or you will choke, cough, and sneeze.

Edited by: rgecaprock

I kept reading this thread thinkin, "man, I got all this apple juice, I should try something like this"...then it dawned on me! Every year we get green chili shipped up from N.M., The real deal, no foolin HOT green chili. One of those things that if you like em, you have to have them. Flavor much better than a Jalapeño (IMHO) , and more heat to them than most Jalapeños .So...roasted a few , will peel them and get er fermentin!

20081026_080326_greenchilli_Sma.jpg

Moved the jugs wines around today to make room for more jugs....

Assembled all of them in cardboard boxes to keep the light off of them as well the sun is now reaching places it hasn't seen in awhile...

This wine is still real cloudy, but there is some sediment on the bottom....

applejalSmall-2.jpg

When I moved it some stuff got disturbed that was floating on top....Not sure if it is a problem....Just some funk.....
smiley3.gif

This one might need more time than most.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Took a teensy taste of this wine this morning....
Perfect!!!! Apple/Jalapeño are in perfect proportions for my taste buds...

Will make more of this sometime....think others will like it as well.

Asking myself....Self??????....
smiley25.gif
Wonder if I should freeze more Jalapeños
smiley25.gif

May have to give this 1 a 1 gallon try next year. Sounds not to good but so did Jalapeno jelly and now I love that stuff so!
Edited by: wade

Racked today.....Tastes really good....Maybe a bit more Jalapeño coming through...

Still pretty cloudy, but had lots of sediment.

Jim said...."very interesting. good flavor"...
smiley4.gif

Waldo....A little heat and lots of flavor....the apple comes through too.

You got to make a batch.

I am going to start a Plum wine here very soon and think I may try a gallonbatch of Jalapeno/Plum

Just started the Apple/Jalapeño wine myself, added about a cup of golden raisins macerated in a bit of vanilla for additional complexity. The peppers were seeded and de-veined. I'll pitch the yeast tonight. I think we have a winner here.

Frank

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from

stupidity."

Robert A. Heinlein (Logic of Empire)

The raisins and vanilla sound like a nice touch.....

I cleaned and froze more Jalapeños today for more batches of wine....Just had too many in the fridge....figured should do something with them before they go bad.

I had racked this wine a couple weeks ago and added some Super-Kleer KC...

It had cleared it a bit, but not as brilliantly as usual.....figured I had added it too early, or....had pectic haze.

So, I racked it off the less a couple days ago and added just a ½ teaspoon of Isinglass to each jug....Put it away and today checked on it...It has turned brilliantly clear....

ajwineSmall-1.jpg

ajalSmall.jpg

Will let it sit and rack it again off these dropped lees/sediment....
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
I'll try to wait...
It hasn't been made for very long....I am just over anxious.

In the words of a wise man...............

Send it to me and I'll keep an eye on it for you.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

And I'll even go the extra step to say that if you send it to me, I PROMISE you, that when you get it back, it will be as clear as water............ as a matter of fact, you'll swear it was water.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

I love the sound of this wine. What kind of apples did you use? I have no Idea how to steam. Maybe I'll try and find a recipe that I can cube them with Pectin.

I think you could use Bentonite....I should use it more.

You could get the apple juice any way you can, sqeeze, crush, etc.....or ferment apple juice from the store....It's all good.

Back