APPLE/JALAPENO WINE....started/recipe..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Finally, after asking loads of questions I finally got this wine started....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~APPLE/JALAPEÑO WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

applejalSmall.jpg

~12 LITERS APPLE JUICE [steam juiced]
~ 3 CANS FROZEN APPLE CONCENTRATE [too boost and layer the flavors]
~ 8 CUPS SUGAR [approx 4.4#]
~ 2 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
~ 2 tsp ACID BLEND
~ 1 tsp ASCORBIC ACID [to help with oxidizing]
~ 3 CAMPDEN TABLETS
~ 21 JALAPEÑO PEPPERS [run through food processor]

This mixed up to a bit more than 3½ gallons.
Used only enough water to dissolve the sugar....[should have used apple juice]

S.G. 1086

TOMORROW:
~ 2 or 3 tsp PECTIC ENZYME
~ 2 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
~ 4 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
~ LALVIN EC-1118 YEAST

fixinsSmall.jpg
readySmall.jpg

Edited by: Northern Winos

I stuck my nose in the bucket and can smell the peppers...Wondering if we'll have to move out of the house while it ferments????

I am glad I put the peppers in a bag....if it starts getting too hot I can pull the bag out...Tho don't think our peppers are as big nor as hot as they'd been grown elsewhere in the country...I haven't noticed Jim breaking out in a sweat while he eats them...so, this wine might be just right for us Gringos.

I am almost wishing I'd have made a larger batch incase it's really good.

Now I have to remember to mess with that bag a couple times a day....guess the smell will remind me.

This is going to be an interesting one indeed!

Are you kidding, from those pics those are the biggest I have ever seen!
smiley3.gif

It's fizzing away this morning, I pushed the bag down and it foamed up nicely.

The smell is great, I am wondering if I put enough Jalapeños in there....This one might get labeled 'Gringo Wine'.

I think I am going to clean some Jalapeños and freeze them for another batch....this one really smells good and the must was something I could have drank as is......Hummm, Apple,Jalapeño drinking juice....why hasn't anyone done that combination before????
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:
I am wondering if I put enough Jalapeños in there....This one might get labeled 'Gringo Wine'.

It's not to late........... Dice a few more up and get them in there!

I posted the other day that the ones I planted were the fake - Non-hot ones. Well last night I went down to the garden and plucked a few to add to a vegie mix I was making for dinner. One or two of those peppers were HOT!!!! It gave the veggies a nice bite that would make me sweat after a few bites........

I keep sticking my head in the bucket and getting a sniff....I think I am smelling more Jalapeños now.....I am going to taste it after a couple days and if it seems hot enough might remove the bag.

Today I am going to freeze up a couple bags of cleaned Jalapeños.... Think I'll put 20-25 in each bag....then can use them during the winter to make more.

I tasted the must yesterday and I could have drank a lot of that.....it tasted like the Jalapeño Jelly.

Maybe next year we will be having a new breakfast drink....Apple/Jalapeño....
smiley4.gif

Comon NW, ya gotta post us a picture of you with your head in that bucket
smiley1.gif

No photos of my head in the bucket....but this one might need a straw to suck on....

It was nicely fizzing along....

AJWINESmall.jpg

Then I stirred it and it almost foamed out of the bucket...I only caught the last of the foam...

FIZZSmall.jpg

The bag of Jalapeños appears to be getting smaller.....must be the Pectic Enzyme and yeast doing it's thing....it tastes like 'Gringo Wine'</font>.....going to freeze up a bunch of these peppers tomorrow for another bigger batch of hotter 'Macho Wine'</font> if it turns out as good as I think it will.....
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

If you want hotter wine, Maybe you could add a half of pepper in each wine bottle! Ouch......

jobe05 said:
If you want hotter wine, Maybe you could add a half of pepper in each wine bottle! Ouch......

I saw on another Forum [
smiley9.gif
Yes, there is another Forum] that a guy did that and it made the wine cloudy.....It would look nice for awhile tho...

Didn't someone here do that also? Or was that anooo......anotoooo.... You know.....

It was a while ago and I beleive it was in a cooking wine. Did they leave them whole and poked small pin holes in them? Was it Waldo or Masta?

I remember that to but dont recall if they actually went through with it or if it was just an idea. I never saw that on the other whatchamacallit!

Well......... In typical Christmas fashion, we'll all wake up
in the morning to an answer to our question as our Santa Clause
Will come in the middle of the night and leave us with his most
precious of gifts...............

His wisdom.

I've been thinking.....
smiley24.gif
....I bet Niagara grape juice would be good with Jalapeño as well...The sweet flavor with the hot......ummmmm.....Too many ideas going on here.

This one turned out to be a very interesting wine, used strctly for cooking of course but I say interesting in that at bottling it was fiery hot but over time it mellowed out significantly.The last bottle still had a lot of heat but no where close to what it had at bottling. There is one bottle remaining which is inthe possesion of one of my Sisters and it is still pretty danged clear. It has sluffed off some sediment ( about 1/8" or less ) from the peppers and herb. She has all of the wines I have ever given her ( collecing them) which is quite a few. If I ever had an opportunity to try some of my wines in their aged state it would be from her. I could never ask her to let me have them back though so I can only imagine what they are lke now.

Back