Apple cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, so you used honey to up your starting sg and you're going to use it again to back sweeten? I am thinking of splitting mine in half. I have some pretty tart Cranberry from last year that I bottled just for blending. It was really good with the Skeeter Pee, but now I am thinking of adding it to three gallons of apple.

Steve, so you used honey to up your starting sg and you're going to use it again to back sweeten?

Yes. It is dry now and aging. I would like to make it sweet but thought is there any drawbacks to sweetening with honey again. I could do a half and half with sugar to taste the difference but I already have 5 gallons of apple Cider made from sugar, not honey.

Luc gave me the suggestion to make some with honey. This one really excites me.

Wow that looks good do you mind posting the recipe when you get time.

It's real easy.

I started with 6 gallons of Musselman's 100% Pure Apple Cider -WalMart @$4.49 a Gallon. Specific Gravity 1.050
Added 6 pounds of Honey. $12.99 at GFS. This raised gravity to 1.080
4 Teaspoons Yeast Nutrient
2 Teaspoons Super Ferment
21 drops of pectic enzyme
Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Blend cider with honey. (Honey must be warmed slightly to be mixed in.)
Add nutrients and superferment. Add pectic enzymes. Wait 24 hours.
Add yeast after rehydrating and stir at least twice daily.

When finished fermenting splash rack and add 1/4 teaspoon sulfite and sparkolloid to fine.

4 to 6 weeks later rack off of sediment.

Add a pinch of sulfite and cinnamon sticks. I had 4, wanted 5, maybe next time.

Back sweeten after aging 6 months. Don't know how far I'll sweeten. Maybe @ 1.015???

Sounds great thank you! I will start a batch after I see how this Apple Cider I have now turns out.

I started this recipe on November 12th. It was fermenting fast and after about 4 weeks it had slowed down to a bubble every 45-60 seconds.I racked it. Then the basement got cold. Down to around 52. I put a heater down there about a week ago and got it up to 67. 3 days ago it was bubbling about every 40 seconds. Now it's bubbling every 20 seconds. The dang stuff wont quit fermenting. Its been 6 weeks! The recipe on here said to wait 4 weeks, then rack. Then let is sit for 3 weeks and bottle. I must be doing something wrong.

You need to put a hydrometer in it to be sure of a final fermentation. Without more info. I can't say but it sounds like it's degassing itself.

If it is still on it's gross lees this could be bad but the colder temps would help you here.

When I racked, it was at 1.020. I haven't check it since then. I will check tomorrow.

I have sulfite (K Meta/Potassium Metabisulfite) in it. I'll age it then add sorbate and back sweeten.

I made mine in a in the same fasion using EC-118 and it turned out very clear and dry. I bottled it in EZ cap bottles with some corn sugar and it came out beautiful like champagne. It did not last very long if you know what I mean.

Would leaving airlock off of primary be better, then apply airlock once racked in secondary??

Would leaving airlock off of primary be better, then apply airlock once racked in secondary??
All my primary fermentation is done in a bucket with nothing more than a lid to keep out airborne crud. I don't apply an air lock until the secondary racking.

hey monica question...going to try your recipe but have 1 question,, did I read the primary time rite 4 weeks ? thanx

I have seen the cinnamon sticks kept in right up until racking. It works well. I currently have a batch of hard apple cider in the primary stages. Its going very well.

Here is my apple cider recipe. I have had lots of luck with it and it has caused many forgotten nights!

5 - gallons of apple cider. (no preservatives but pasteurized is ok)
10 lbs of sugar
12 - cinnamon sticks
1tsp wine tannin
4tsp acid blend
2 - teaspoons of yeast nutrient
1 pack of Cote De Blancs [/QOUTE]

Is yeast nutrient a deal breaker? I forgot to pick some up. :(

Well it appears it is not, I have a nice fermentation happening. I still wish I had picked some up though. I really like to follow directions as closely as possible.

Last edited:
Back