Apple cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I just recently bought the basic equipment I need to start making my own wine, and I thought this recipe would be a good one to start with since I had two gallons of non-preserved, unpasteurized apple cider in the freezer. Since I only had two gallons and somewhat limited ingredients, I scaled the recipe as follows:

2 Gallons Cider
4 lb White Table Sugar
2 Camden Tablets
1-1/4 (approx.) tsp acid blend
1/4+ tsp tannin

I mixed this all together this evening and plan to add a packet of Lalvin IVC D-47 yeast tomorrow.

If I am reading the hydrometer correctly, my starting SG is at 1.125. Based on all of my reading, this seems high, and I am assuming that the cider was pretty sweet to start. Therefore, adding the full 4 lb of sugar is giving me a high SG.

So what should I do? Do I add water to get the SG around 1.080? This seems like it would dilute the cider though. Or do I just let it go. If I let it go, I assume the yeast will die/stop fermenting when the alcohol content reaches around 14%, then I'll have a sweeter cider from the residual sugar?

Thanks in advance. BTW, I've really enjoyed reading the forum thus far. I hope to be able to contribute before too long and minimize the newbie questions.

Chris

Last edited:
My first cider started at SG 1.100, and went all the way to .998. That ended up about 14% abv. I had to back sweeten. But if you aiming for 'hard cider', I don't think you need to worry.
I recently found the wisdom of making a syrup out of some of the juice, and slowly adding sugar while monitoring the SG. That way you're not guessing, and can get just the SG you want to start.

Here are some photos of my father's fruit press. We pressed some apples the other day for some fresh apple cider. I plan on mixing it with some crab apples I picked.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

My dad built this in 1978. It's had a lot of use.

Last edited:
love it

FANTASTIC !!!!

I made this great cider and tried last night and is great. I did lower the sugar to only # pounds of sugar and used the cheapest Cider I could find. (walmart brand) it is a awsome hot sipping drink in a coffee mug but its even better served chilled. Also I did and some beninite to help clear it and it help to take away some of cloudy look. :br

Hello all. This is my first post, but I've been reading for a bit now. I've brewed beer for some time, and have a batch of skeeter pee going. I'd like to get a start on some wine in the near future.

I've made several batches of Apfelwein, which I've really enjoyed. I backsweetened the last batch with 2 cans of frozen concentrated apple juice. It came out great. It's been aging in a keg for a couple months now, and is getting pretty tasty.

Just wanted to put that out there if you try to backsweeten.

I have a question regard post-fermentation adjustments to this cider. I have two gallons of cider that I just racked from a 3 gallon secondary to two 1 gallon jugs. My starting SG was a whopping 1.125 (first attempt at wine, didn't really know what I was doing!) and it is currently at 1.006 (16%, which is way higher than I wanted, but what the heck). Fermentation seems to have stopped, presumably from the yeast (Lalvin D-47) dying to high alcohol %. After racking to the 1 gallon jugs, I added 1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp. of k-sorbate to each jug.

I tasted a bit of the cider, and I think the flavor needs adjusted. I can obviously taste the alcohol, but I think I need to back-sweeten and possibly adjust the acid. I tastes kind of flat. So I guess my question comes in several parts:

1. Can I add acid blend post-fermentation?
  2. How much acid blend should I add? I only have ph strips, no titration kit. I realize this is hard to answer, but where would a good starting point be? 1/4 tsp per gallon? More? Less?
  3. Should I backsweeten immediately after racking to the 1 gallon jugs, or should I wait?

Thanks!

I cannot find this Cote Des Blancs yeast for sale in the UK. It only seems to be available in America. Does anyone know of a UK equivalent yeast ?

I can't help you with that question Lead_Fallout I'm sorry. Wish I knew more about yeast.

Here's a stupid Question. You said "Start the yeast while the cider is cooling. Once it's cool enough to add the yeast stir it in with a big stirring spoon".

What do you mean by start the yeast. I take it you dont just pour it in. There is a process you do with the yeast? Sorry..new at this. :slp

What I do when making a "yeast starter" is take about 1 cup of my batch and heat it to about 90 F degrees. I mix in the amount of yeast I'm going to use, and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. That gives it time to acclimate to the sugar/acid, etc. When it's got a good start, I pour it into my primary.
Also, if for some reason your yeast is not viable, you know right away.

I'm going to start a 5 gallon batch of this Saturday. I bought the ingredients and a 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket. I just have to go pick up 5 gallons of juice at the local orchard. It is pasteurized. The best part is I get to leave the juice in the fermenting bucket for 4 weeks. So I have 4 weeks to find another carboy. lol

Monica does it have a fizzy taste to it like apple cider does?

I followed the recipe to a T. I thought I read on here that it would put off a good aroma. So I left it up stairs. Now the whole house smells like sulfur or something really bad. Whoops. It's in the basement now.

Is it just fermenting and it's a normal part of the process or should I be worried about this?

I racked at 1.020 two days ago. Tasted it. I didn't like the taste too much but it needs degassed still. I was thinking of maybe adding a maple syrup to sweeten it a little more. I've heard of that being used before. Have any of you tried using maple syrup?

** Oh yeah and it still has that sulfur smell. My guess is because when I started it I sealed the lid. I now realize that I should of let it breath the first few days. I splash racked it so maybe that will help.

Fermentation usually reduces S02 to just about nill. Apple cider fermented will surely need some time to come aroujd or at least I know mine did.

Thanks Wade. Just gotta tell myself to be patient. The recipe said it should only take a few months and be ready to bottle. But the more I wait, the better it is I'm guessing.

Thanks Wade. Just gotta tell myself to be patient. The recipe said it should only take a few months and be ready to bottle. But the more I wait, the better it is I'm guessing.

I am also in the process of making it and I was told it would take the better part of a year before being ready.

The recipe on this thread says about 2 months and she seems to enjoy it :h

Not trying for anything fancy, just something to drink when im fishing on the river or at the pond :)

Below is a photo of my Apple Cider Cinnamon Mead I racked today. I'll age it 5-6 months. It has a really nice color to it and smells wonderful.

As I was racking today I thought when it comes time to sweeten, should I sweeten with honey or sugar? I would think honey. I used 6 gallons of Apple Cider and 6 pounds of honey. Reached a perfect 1.080 starting gravity.

picture.php

You can see one of the 4 cinnamon sticks in the carboy, it's standing up.:)

Latest posts

Back