Apple Cider Recipe *carbonated*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the sugar/honey/brown sugar that I use to back sweeten to carb my cider, if you use honey it will take a little bit longer to carbonate.
I also add a few cans of 100% pure unsweetened apple juice concentrate to boost the apple flavor a little.
I usually test a bottle a week to check the carbonation level, when it reaches the level that we prefer, I pasteurize using the same method as Aaron.
When making beer, the "average" amount of priming sugar added to prime 6 gallons of beer to 2.3 vol. is 4.32 oz of priming sugar, this is 122 grams, but again, if I back sweeten, I do not prime mine, there has always been enough sugar to carbonate the bottles.

So I back sweetened and used extra for priming sugar. It's been sitting a month and I tested two bottles. Zero carbonation :(

Now.....my brewing room is on the cool side, and it did take a good while to ferment dry. Should I let it go, or assume it's not going to carbonate? In the second event, is it ok to let it go, or should I pasteurize it anyway to be safe?

Thanks!!!
Rosa

Can you put a small heater in the room to get the temp up into the 70's?

I don't think you would have to worry about pasteurizing. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe when you sweeten and bottle carb, you pasteurize once you have the desired carbonation to kill off the yeast so it doesn't consume all of the sugar, thus leaving it sweet. Also, too much sugar being consumed by the yeast could create the bottle bomb.

That time is upon us again when apples are in season.
This year I'm making blackberry/apple hard cider.

Anyone else doing a batch of cider this year?

Old post I kno lol but how much brown sugar should I use for 1 gallon of cider to prime?

Latest posts

Back