Anything wrong with these corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
I noticed some of my corked bottles have what appears to be moisture coming out from the bottle?

Anything to worry about? Do they need to be recorked? What causes this?

ThanksImageUploadedByWine Making1437955106.052516.jpg

Not trying to be a complete smart aleck, just offering my experience. Many folks start out soaking corks before inserting them. Particularly with the almagorated ones that is a sure fire way to get moisture leaks through the cork and early cork failure. Maybe I misinterpreted the picture.

They are not soaked, but are spritzed with Kmeta prior to use. I wouldn't say they are completely dry prior to use. I will have to reform my ways

Should I recork them?

How's about a size #.. #9's should suffice no matter the construction. However I've run across bottles (used) that have a larger than usual neck size. So if your batch has only 1 or 2 which seem to be leaking, maybe those bottles are odd

Don't wet the corks at all, put them in dry, if you want to sanitize them, use a cork a dor.
cork a dor- in bucket, put a mason jar half full of k-meta solution, put corks around the jar and put the lid on for 24 hours or more, the sulphur gas will do the sanitizing and keep the corks dry.
I just put mine in dry from the bag and have not had any problems.
Not sure if spritzing the corks caused the problem, i have a few that do that from time to time, also let your bottles stand up for 24 to 48 hours before laying them down for the corks to take shape of the bottle for a better seal.

Latest posts

Back