Anyone use 5gal. water "artesian"bottles as secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi44089

Reaction score
I found a local "artesian" water supply store that will sell me a full jug "5gal" for $3.00 plus a $7.00 deposit. Thay also have 3 gallon ones. Seems like $10.00 is a good deal for a 5gal. carboy. Do any of you use these? They look about the same as a "better bottle", which costs much more.

I believe someone else had posted on here that those do not work well because they are not made as sturdy and of the same material as a better bottle but I really don't know.

I know people use them as a conditioning vessel for beer, but that is ~ a month. I'd be concerned about oxygen permeation with those.

I would have to agree. Good friend of mine just tried one from a local water works, tarnished rather fast. 5 gallons used to melt the snow in his yard. Even tried to filter it out with a VERY fine filter with no luck. I would put another $30.00 with that money and buy glass.

Hugh, best name I have seen in a while!

There are lots of threads about these water jugs, if you want to do some reading. Some people are perfectly happy using them (although I'm a bit surprised by the beer comment). Many others won't use them.

Count me in the "won't use" group.

Steve

There are lots of threads about these water jugs, if you want to do some reading. Some people are perfectly happy using them (although I'm a bit surprised by the beer comment). Many others won't use them.

Count me in the "won't use" group.

Steve

Steve,

Why the surprise over the beer comment? (I'm assuming that was re: my post.)

:ot: The name came from a Simpson's episode when Bart calls Moe's tavern.

Moe: (answering the phone) Flaming Moe's.
Bart: Uh, yes, I'm looking for a friend of mine. Last name Jass. First name Hugh.
Moe: Uh, hold on, I'll check. (calling) Hugh Jass! Somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass!
Man: Uh, I'm Hugh Jass.
Moe: Telephone. (hands over the receiver)
Hugh: Hello, this is Hugh Jass.
Bart: (surprised) Uh, hi.
Hugh: Who's this?
Bart: Bart Simpson.
Hugh: Well, what can I do for you, Bart?
Bart: Uh, look, I'll level with you, Mister. This is a crank call that sort of backfired, and I'd like to bail out right now.
Hugh: All right. Better luck next time. (hangs up) What a nice young man.

Sorry for the thread jack.

They will work fine for secondary fermentation, but not for bulk aging. They let in some air and they stain easily.

I'm not sure, but I would suspect they could pickup flavors and smells from previous batches fermented in them.

Hey, give it a try.

Why the surprise over the beer comment? (I'm assuming that was re: my post.)

Most beer makers are even pickier than wine makers about air exposure, oxidation risk, etc. Many do not even transfer beer from the primary before bottling.

I was just surprised that you knew people (plural?) that store beer in water jugs for even a week.

Steve

Decided to hold off a bit on getting plastic ones. I called the local "distillata" water delivery place. For $34.50 I can have a 5 gallon glass one delivered to my door. Thats about 4 bucks cheaper than my closest supply store "30 min. away" sells them. And no driving, so no gas. It never fails though, when I had no use for one, I would see them at thrift stores and garage sales now and then. Now that I want a few, they will be elusive..:slp

Most beer makers are even pickier than wine makers about air exposure, oxidation risk, etc. Many do not even transfer beer from the primary before bottling.

I was just surprised that you knew people (plural?) that store beer in water jugs for even a week.

Steve

Yep. Plenty of them on a beer forum I frequent. Beer making, like other hobbies, has multiple ways to achieve the same end. I'd never leave beer in a water jug, but there's plenty that claim they've successfully done just that.:e

Here in Costa Rica I have no choice and only use water jugs for the secondary. I age 3 months before bottling and have never had staining. I do sanitize after using. Never had a problem.

Back