Anyone Tried Using a Dry Hopper for Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An f pac is just fruit and sugar that you use to backsweeten, it is not something that you take out.

An f pac is just fruit and sugar that you use to backsweeten, it is not something that you take out.

Thanks for the clarification on that. I guess I thought an f-pack was something that you added during secondary for flavoring, usually being pieces of fruit in some sort of bag or something. If it's fruit, how can you not "take it out"? I guess I'm confused now.

Anyway, beer brewers use a similar thing, sometimes with hops (dry hopping), sometimes with other stuff, in the secondary, for flavor. And the product I referenced is designed to allow that in a carboy, with a removable "cylinder" to hold the stuff, whatever it is.

So I was thinking this might work well with wine, too. Stuff some fruits in there for a secondary, and to remove it just pull the cylinder out.

You would put your fruit in prior to fermentation and you should be using a primary bucket at that point. The only thing I have added post fermentation is either chocolate or oak and I haven't had a problem of getting those out of a carboy.

Yeah but what about mead makers adding fruit post fermentation? Or dry hopping cider?

A similar device is used for putting oak in the carboy. The idea being that when you've achieved your desired level of oaky-ness and/or the cubes are spent, you can just lift them out. I have one. Used it once. It is much more convenient to just put the oak directly in the carboy and rack when you're done.

http://morewinemaking.com/products/oak-infusion-tube-carboys.html

raspberry with vanilla bean, well you have my interest. No I don't make mead but I do make a black raspberry wine that I am going to try the vanilla bean. Thanks!!!!!

Latest posts

Back