Trying to use dried clementine peels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I have about a pound of dried clementine peels that I want to add to one of my wines that are aging now to create a slight citrus taste on top of the original taste but I'm not sure which one will work best.
Here is the list of the wines that are aging right now.
Cinnamon Apple (apple wine with a small cinnamon stick)
Dragon Blood ( blackberry, blueberry, raspberry blend)
Tropical Blend (Pineapple, mango, papaya, raspberry)
Tropical Blend 2 (pineapple, strawberry, banana)
Cherry Wine
Pineapple wine

I read somewhere on the forum but I couldn't find it that cranberry wine would be also great with a slight taste of dried clementine peels. Any suggestion please. Did anyone tried to use clementine peels?

Never tried it. If I did I would soak some peels, not the full pound, in vodka or Everclear. After several weeks/months sample it, maybe with tonic water or some neutral mixer, to see what flavor it provides. Then make small glass samples to which you add the clementine flavoring to see if it adds something or is worse.

I’ve never done that with wine but have made lemoncello, I used only zest because everything I read said do not use the pith since it is very bitter. You might want to do a very small test batch with peels.

Latest posts

Back