Anyone think this will turn out?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are already approaching the limits of alcohol tolerance of the yeast so if you do try to increase it don't add more than a cup at a time or you will likely end up with a very sweet wine becaue after it stalls out, you can't lower it.

If I want to try to Max out the yeast can I just keep adding sugar to the primary? Sg is just under 1.020 as of this morning. If it goes below 1.010 I am thinking about adding sugar to try to keep it at 1.010.

Would that be a ok sweetness level for this type of wine?

Would it be better to try this in the secondary?

Any pointers from those who have tried this before?

How would I keep track of abv if I did this? Could I just take a gravity reading before and after I added the sugar and add the additional sg #'s to the starting sg?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I made a wine similar to this (Bernard's recipe) that turned out pretty good. It took some getting there though. I would just let this run dry and fortify it back from there if you want it with a higher ABV. I started mine at 1.085, ran it to .994. When racking (which was 2 to 3 times), I would add a vodka/water solution to keep the ABV up between rackings, since I was coming up short, due to the amount of lees it was dropping. Not sure where it finished, but I am guessing around 13-14%.
Again, per Bernard, once it was cleared, I let it sit on some dark chocolate.
In the end (9 months later) it is very good. Semi-sweet with a chocolate finish.

I just racked this to the secondary. Sg 1.000. Lots of crap floating on top (maybe orange pulp)? i figured pectic enzyme would have taken care of that? I'll let it ferment dry and back sweeten as advised.

I'm Thinking about using chocolate syrup to sweeten after I stabilize the wine. Anyone tried that before? Do you think it will be hard to clear? I was going to use Hershey's chocolate syrup instead of the cocoa powder at the beginning but it contains sorbate and I didn't want to mess up fermentation.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1395106988.493646.jpg

I tried a sample tonight. I really hope this improves with age because it is not good

I think it will turn out fine. I tried something similar once, but without the cocoa and it turned pretty well.

I popped open the first bottle of this tonight. Not good. Tastes strong of alcohol. Not much orange or chocolate flavor. If I try this again I will make some serious changes to the recipe.

dont have the abv higher than 10% - 11% and use dark chocolate, at least 65% cocoa and add the chocolate after fermentation, stabilizing and backsweetening.

Opened another bottle tonight. It is much better than last time I tried it. It's actually drinkable now! I still can't taste the chocolate but it has a nice chocolate aroma. I'll try to hold off 6 more months before I pop another bottle open.

Cheers!

Also the strong alcohol taste is completely gone. The high abv is only noticeable shortly after you drink it ;).

Last edited:
Back