Anyone made cremes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
I'd like to branch out and experiment with creme liqueurs, or even something like advokaat

One thing holding me back is that, during research, I find conflicting info on if it's shelf stable or not.

Baileys says alcohol is the only preservative it uses, is shelf stable to 2 years even after opening, and is 17% abv.

Homemade recipes advise to refrigerate, and even then, no longer then a month or two. However, this may just be a CYA message.

Anyone have experience?

18% alcohol is an excellent preservative. Microbiological issues should not exist in any food with 18%, ,,, translation you will not cause food poisoning.

Chemical reactions still happen. The general guideline is that reaction rate doubles for every 10 C increase, or would be cut in half for a 10 C decrease. ,,, translation, Oxidation is a concern even in a refrigerator.

I've made creme liqueurs in the past, and after 3 months the flavors might start changing. Probably oxidation, as David said.

Make smaller quantities, keep them refrigerated, and use 'em up. It may have helped that I typically made them 40 to 50 proof, 20% to 25%.

Milk. solids can separate, I imagine powder cream is used instead of fresh creams, most diy recipes don't seem to have shelf life

Back