Anyone ever get sick from thier wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for info.

I have never tested my wine for PH level?

Actuallly, people are more likely to have reactions to the tannins in the wine (stuffiness, head cold feeling). Allergy meds should clear that up.

Actuallly, people are more likely to have reactions to the tannins in the wine (stuffiness, head cold feeling). Allergy meds should clear that up.

This I can attest to. Probably part of my motivation for making wines from anything and everything other than grapes. But I can't believe that sulfites and other preservatives are anything that are good for a person, so I really am doing my best to learn and make tasty and enjoyable wines that contain a minimum of such. For sanitizing, OK... I can do that. But to just add all these different chemicals, to me, takes the wine-making art into a direction that while I appreciate it, it's not so much what I want to do. And yes, I love tasting whatever wines might find themselves in my grocery cart... not that big of a snob, LOL!! I just don't want to make those wines myself. But - I LOVE reading and learning about the things other people are doing because it's just plain good ol' fun and learning, and neither of those can be bad things :b

This I can attest to. Probably part of my motivation for making wines from anything and everything other than grapes. But I can't believe that sulfites and other preservatives are anything that are good for a person, so I really am doing my best to learn and make tasty and enjoyable wines that contain a minimum of such. For sanitizing, OK... I can do that. But to just add all these different chemicals, to me, takes the wine-making art into a direction that while I appreciate it, it's not so much what I want to do. And yes, I love tasting whatever wines might find themselves in my grocery cart... not that big of a snob, LOL!! I just don't want to make those wines myself. But - I LOVE reading and learning about the things other people are doing because it's just plain good ol' fun and learning, and neither of those can be bad things :b

Xandra,

I hear you and think that this is a nobel stance to take. The only thing I would say is that, by taking this stance, you put your wine at risk of spoilage and oxidation.

A surprising number of winemakers (myself included) start off with this same firm belief, and many times this only lasts to the point where the wine goes south.

I do use chemicals (like k-meta and tartaric acid), but only enough to ensure the best possible results. I use other chemicals (like ascorbic acid and copper sulfate) as the situation mandates. I have come to realize that I hate the chemicals far less than rotten wine.

johnT.

Latest posts

Back