Anyone else have back problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrydg

Junior
Reaction score
I have had lower back issues for about 10 years now. I have arthritis in one disk and another that never formed correctly. I have constant pain and if I move just right (or wrong I guess) it feels like I was electrocuted. The muscles from hip to hip spasm and it drops me and then I can't stand straight. It happened to me this morning when I stepped into the shower. I had to go to the chiro and now I'm laying in bed on and ice pack taking vicodin every 4 hrs. It's great timing too, I start a 10 day vacation tomorrow. The doc tells me that I need to strengthen my core but I can't because any exercise that could help hurts too much to do. I can do upper body workouts without much pain but nothing for my core. It's really depressing being 42 and thinking that it's going to get worse the older I get. I'm bored to death laying here when it's so warm and sunny out. I may have to sneak out to the pool for a bit.

Yep, I think it's a common ailment, especially when you get a little older. I fell off a ladder a few years ago and damaged some discs and now arthritis has set in; but then I'm 20 years older than you - I wouldn't want this at 42!
It is annoying at best and debilitating at worst, but when it's bad I think of how much worse it could have been - a friend had a similar fall and he ended up in a wheelchair.

pool huh there is a place you can do core exercises and not hurt your lower back believe me I know about bad backs the pool is an easy and safe place to do really good workouts for your back and when in water you don't have body weight pushing down on your back

Ive had a bad back for about 5 years now from putting down a stair that I made at work. I have 2 discs that are herniated and 1 that is ruptured. I hear you about doing anything to strenghten the core except I dont have a pool nor do I know anyone that does. They can keep telling me to do physical therapy and I ell them to shove it! Its the reason I use a electric vacuum pump for all my wine making cause lifting a full 3 or especially 5 or 6 gallon carboy can put me out of work for some time!

you can check into the ymca they always got a good pool and normally programs for people with medical problems that can't exercise normally

I know the bad back part really good I think I'm up to 6 or 7 disc completely gone now and possibly had a new one rupture not to long ago and on top of that I got a vertrebra thats close to 2/3 gone. I've got what they call degenerative bone disease in my back have had for a while according to the doctors but I go on

i have ankylosing spondylitis, layman's terms: ,my spine is growing around my discs. i was diagnosed at age 29 and im 36 now, i find the best thing to do is simple bending and stretching in the shower and a couple of aleve a day. ill eventually have to have surgery to cut all the bone away or be in a wheel chair but i get along pretty well and i work as an industrial mechanic

I have had bad back since I was 14...no fun for sure... as I got older it has worsened but am now sleeping on memory foam mattress (was told it's good for people with arthritis) it sure has helped...comfort hug all you fellow back sufferers Zoogie

It's really depressing being 42 and thinking that it's going to get worse the older I get.

My back goes out every couple years, disks bulge and poke into nerves. My cousin/neurosurgeon Jokingly tells me that this will eventually subside because arthritis would set in and stiffen the disks. I didn't laugh. Now I take a muscle relaxer at first tinge if back pain. And if I do feel a disk bulge he starts me on a steroid at once.

Hope you get this under control.

Just a suggestion for all those suffering from low back pains. It wont solve the problem if the problem is structural, i.e. the spine or bones, but could definalty help. As the massage therapist working at any clinic (you may want to call ahead to see if any know how to do it) and ask for psoas (pernounced so-As) or illo-psoas work. I do this kind of work for a living and see this alot. It's instant pain relief but hurts like mad while having it done. The only way to get to it is through the stomach inside the hip bones. My dad's back went out on him some time ago and after just one treatment, plus the hips as well, he could bend over and tie his shoes.

I hope this helps everybody out, it's the #1 low back pain muscle. And also, from my experience, the #1 muscle that gets ignored for some crazy reason.

I was diagnosit degenerative disc desease 2 years ago. I also have a herniated disc. I just went through 12 weeks of PT which helped a little. But as my doctor says, because of abusing my back for so many years I will be in pain the rest of my life. I like Wade also use the vacumm pump for racking. Still difficult cleaning carboys though.

You should start a walking program. nothing big at first but I think you will be surprise at how much better you feel after a couple of weeks of walking. Do it at your pace.

Actually walking for periods is one of the things that really aggrevates my back. If I dare go shopping at the mall with my daughter I make sure I take some meds 1st!!!!

Actually walking for periods is one of the things that really aggrevates my back. If I dare go shopping at the mall with my daughter I make sure I take some meds 1st!!!!

That is your wallet getting lighter.

Hope you get the really good meds. They might not even be enough to get me to a mall.

Back