Any recommendations for Riesling and white zin kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkey

Reaction score
Now that my Australian Shiraz is under way, I am wanting to start another batch already. I am thinking that a Riesling, White Zin, and a Mist Wine kit are what's up next. The first wine I ever had was a Schmitt Sohne Riesling and I also like Dr. Loosen and my fiancee and her mom both like white zinfandels and wine coolers, as does my mom. Can anyone suggest some good ones? Mist wine suggestions are welcome too, but I am kind of leaning towards a strawberry Riesling for that one.

Previously when I asked about a White Zin, I was told to consider a less expensive one than what I had been looking at. Thanks in advance!

It is hard to match a kit to a specific commercial wine, plus commercial wines can differ a bit year-to-year. I didn't find anything quickly on the Dr.L site that was helpful to picking a kit.

White Zin...I think most of us think of this wine as a low quality wine for non-wine drinkers. I wouldn't spend a lot on one of these kits. Probably one is as good as another in the same quality bracket. I don't think many kit manufacturers even make a better quality white zin (or zin blush).

Mist wines...it's all about the fruit flavour. Pick one that your crew will like the taste of. Strawberry Riesling sounds good to me. What brand were you looking at?

BTW, the following recommendations will be tough to source in Alabama, as Vineco kits get poor distrinution in the US. But they are what I would probably choose.

Ken Ridge Founders Series Riesling from Germany, Mosel River Valley - includes a Sweet Reserve pack (aka F-pack). If you want a dry riesling put the f-pack in the primary in lieu of some of the water. For an off-dry wine, follow the instructions. I haven't made this one (I did an excellent Winexpert Limited Edition instead), but I want to.

Ken Ridge Showcase California White Zinfandel - this is a new one to me, but I really like this brand - includes a Sweet Reserve pack, so same as riesling above. Quality wise probably about the same as the Cellar Classic that you asked about in the other thread.

I was going to suggest Ken Ridge Classic White Merlot (no Sweet Reserve) or White Zinfandel (sweet reserve, but a bit sweeter than the two above). Should be less expensive than the White Zins above.

Niagara Mist Sangria Zin Blush, Strawberry White Zin, or Pink Grapefruit Blush. Love all three.

Steve

Thanks for the response. The strawberry Riesling I was looking at is an Orchard Breezin' kit. I normally order from brewmasterswarehouse.com, but I would be willing to try another website to get something that they don't have.

I wasn't really hoping for a match the commercial wine, but that was more just for background info. The only reason I am worried about making a cheap kit is that I don't want a crappy wine. I can deal with average for the white zin, but I would hate to make something that would be truly bad. I do want to make some high quality kits also, but I do want something ready to be drank a little sooner than most of the kits I have been looking into.

Thanks for the response. The strawberry Riesling I was looking at is an Orchard Breezin' kit. I normally order from brewmasterswarehouse.com, but I would be willing to try another website to get something that they don't have.

I wasn't really hoping for a match the commercial wine, but that was more just for background info. The only reason I am worried about making a cheap kit is that I don't want a crappy wine. I can deal with average for the white zin, but I would hate to make something that would be truly bad. I do want to make some high quality kits also, but I do want something ready to be drank a little sooner than most of the kits I have been looking into.
I have been using Vintner's Reserve kits as they are easy to make and drinkable within a few weeks. I have made the Chablis, White Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Diablo Rojo and Riesling. Each were very nice wines. Don’t let the stereotyping of wines stop you from experimenting with different kit brands.

I have made the Island Mist Green Apple Riesling, my wife loves it! I usually get my kits from labelpeelers as I find their prices the best around. I see they have a Strawberry Lychee Traminer Island Mist 7.5L Wine Kit that may suit your taste. I would also get the F-Pack (extra) as well. That may be oe of my next purchases as well. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back