Any hunters here?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opening Day pheasant hunting today. We shot our limit in 19 minutes!!! Actually with 8 people taking 16 birds we only shot about 6 shells. It was wet and the dogs got most of them and the others we came up on and whacked with our gun barrels.

Opening Day pheasant hunting today. We shot our limit in 19 minutes!!! Actually with 8 people taking 16 birds we only shot about 6 shells. It was wet and the dogs got most of them and the others we came up on and whacked with our gun barrels.

Not big on hunting myself, but would love to try pheasant some day. Love venison and goose. Just no desire to shoot 'em. I need a friend who likes to hunt, but not eat game. :p

I only started hunting last year with my father. I'm not a fan of killing animals that much but I make sure when I do I use every bit of it. I would never kill an animal that I wasn't eating.

Joe, just wondering how you prepare your pheasant. My Mom used to roast them with a lot of olive oil and fresh ground black pepper, as the main flavors and some other herbs (mostly what was in the kitchen at the time). How do you do it?

Joe, just wondering how you prepare your pheasant. My Mom used to roast them with a lot of olive oil and fresh ground black pepper, as the main flavors and some other herbs (mostly what was in the kitchen at the time). How do you do it?

I hunt pheasant and the favorite way to prepare it is to brine them. Once they've been brined, just roast them on the grill. If you search the web for "brined pheasant", you'll find several different variations of recipes. Here's one I've made and it turns out great.
Brined Pheasant Recipe

photobucket-2283-1350832439310.jpg

photobucket-7992-1350920396647.jpg

all breast meat (save the legs for the crock pot)
Saute with a little butter, red wine, worchestshire, onion and garlic salt and pepper to taste.

and since I started this thread about goose hunting:
These
goosestew3.jpg

made an awesome stew!
goosestew.jpg

goosestew2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes every thing and anything I can eat. Like to know of wine to go with my turkey and deer

I saw 2 beautiful wood ducks in the river by the game trail we squirrel hunt on this morning.

Soon they will be roasting beautifully on my rotisserie! Mmmmmm!!!!

well i think i accomplished a big step this year, all of my kids wanted to go hunting (this if a first) after one of my 10yr olds shot his first squirrel, so i form a posse consisting of myself, 2 10yr old twin boys, a 6yr old girl and a 3yr old boy out to the woods. The amazing thing is the other 10yr old that hadnt shot anything actually bagged his first squirrel.

now i know some of you say those arent hard to kill i have to dodge a million of em on my way to and from work, but there is something about an armed person walking around the woods that scares them off every time :)

Pheasant surprise.

Pheasant meat, cream of mushroom soup, and stuffing. It's a casserole dish made in the oven. Premake the stuffing before the casserole. Oh and the surprise is when you break a crown on a lead pellet in case you were wondering.

Dend78 said:
well i think i accomplished a big step this year, all of my kids wanted to go hunting (this if a first) after one of my 10yr olds shot his first squirrel, so i form a posse consisting of myself, 2 10yr old twin boys, a 6yr old girl and a 3yr old boy out to the woods. The amazing thing is the other 10yr old that hadnt shot anything actually bagged his first squirrel.

now i know some of you say those arent hard to kill i have to dodge a million of em on my way to and from work, but there is something about an armed person walking around the woods that scares them off every time :)

That's awesome! I can't wait to take my little girl hunting. She's only 2 years old but I Donno how long I can wait lol

Just finished Pa's early Muzzleloader deer season with no luck. Rifle season for deer begins the Monday after Thanksgiving and I will be at camp that week. Always get something then either a buck or a doe.

Just finished Pa's early Muzzleloader deer season with no luck. Rifle season for deer begins the Monday after Thanksgiving and I will be at camp that week. Always get something then either a buck or a doe.

Where is your camp at?

My husband does archery and mussleloader but wasn't able to get out as of yet but he will get at least 2 deer before the season is done.

That's awesome! I can't wait to take my little girl hunting. She's only 2 years old but I Donno how long I can wait lol

well my 3yr old went he wasnt very still but where i had everyone sit it worked out fine, he just wanted to look through the "telescope" (scope) :), my little girl wasnt afraid to pick up the dead squirrel, which is a huge step ahead of her older brothers at least the one he would barely touch them :)

Hahahaha! Sounds like my little girl. Her best friend is a boy a year older than her and he's the nervous type. She's constantly yelling at him "I NOT SCARED OF ANYTHING! NO WHINING!"

It's REALLY funny to watch.

Latest posts

Back